Bellows

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

chrisiieeg

Post by chrisiieeg »

Hi Blame.

I believe it arrives today, so will keep any eye out for any obivous problems with it.
Blame wrote:...Infinite lens+ tube lens = finite lens. So within limits the bellows would still allow some control of magnification.
In that, do you mean "Camera->Bellows->Tube lens->infinite" setup ?

If so, it would mean I would have trouble between Bellows->Tube lens as Ray mentions,
ray_parkhurst wrote:...It's unlikely you'll find an EOS lens to FD mount adapter. That is an unlikely use case. FD on EOS is common and make sense, but not vice versa.
finding a female FD to female EOS is kinda hard :).
jazzper wrote:The Canon is a lovely bellows unit - congratulations on that :)
Thanks Jazzper, while I will pick the bellows up today, the rest of the adaptions are still 2 weeks away ...

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Chris

jazzper

Post by jazzper »

chrisiieeg wrote: If so, it would mean I would have trouble between Bellows->Tube lens
Well, not if you use FD lenses as tube lenses :)
Jesper - Flickr

marceppy

Post by marceppy »

I haven't looked at this site in a while but you might be able to have an adapter made, albeit expensive.

http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

Marc

chrisiieeg

Post by chrisiieeg »

Hi Jazzper
jazzper wrote:Well, not if you use FD lenses as tube lenses :)
I found another gem online. Which means for now, I am able to experiment with the current Canon lenses I have :) re, your post
So within limits the bellows would still allow some control of magnification.
♀ M58 to ♀ EOS. With this, I am able to adapt (front end of bellows) ♂ FD to ♀ M42 > ♂ M42 to ♀ M52 > ♂ M52 to ♂ M58 > ♀ M58 to ♀ EOS :P. Err...rather chunky, but better than fabricating one or nothing from the internet. :)

Cheers

Chris

jazzper

Post by jazzper »

Chris.
chrisiieeg wrote:.
♀ M58 to ♀ EOS.
Clever device!

You can also get this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-FD-FL-f ... 35d2febc1b

That'll save you a step.
Jesper - Flickr

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

chrisiieeg wrote: ...
♀ M58 to ♀ EOS. With this, I am able to adapt (front end of bellows) ♂ FD to ♀ M42 > ♂ M42 to ♀ M52 > ♂ M52 to ♂ M58 > ♀ M58 to ♀ EOS :P. Err...rather chunky, but better than fabricating one or nothing from the internet. :)

Cheers

Chris
Looks like the EOS equivalent of the Nikon BR5. Didn't know they made them...

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

On the subject of bellows, I got a Pentax bellows from ebay for a good price, was all excited to get started with it, and quickly found that it has a "back" mount I couldn't recognize:

I measured the smooth inside of the mount with calipers and found that it comes to 42mm, and some careful testing showed me that if the screw is pulled back, the male end of some 42mm extension tubes is put in, and the screw judiciously set back in, it holds. But I don't think that a simple male to male 42mm-42mm with one little spiked screw holding it in place is going to hold my Canon T2i well enough general use.

What sort of adapter would I want for this? What is that mount called?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Looks like it's missing the camera mount. Sometimes they are screwed into the lens mount but I assume you've checked that. The mount has a dovetail flange that the set screw tightens into, and M42 male threads other side.

Blame

Post by Blame »

chrisiieeg wrote:Hi Blame.

I believe it arrives today, so will keep any eye out for any obivous problems with it.
Blame wrote:...Infinite lens+ tube lens = finite lens. So within limits the bellows would still allow some control of magnification.
In that, do you mean "Camera->Bellows->Tube lens->infinite" setup ?

If so, it would mean I would have trouble between Bellows->Tube lens as Ray mentions,
ray_parkhurst wrote:...It's unlikely you'll find an EOS lens to FD mount adapter. That is an unlikely use case. FD on EOS is common and make sense, but not vice versa.
finding a female FD to female EOS is kinda hard :).
jazzper wrote:The Canon is a lovely bellows unit - congratulations on that :)
Thanks Jazzper, while I will pick the bellows up today, the rest of the adaptions are still 2 weeks away ...

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Chris
Yes but with a short lens such as an.enlarger lens. They are mostly 39mm fit but 39mm to 42mm are cheap. Enlarger lenses need extension so if you have one over 80mm your bellows will probably fit.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Looks like it's missing the camera mount. Sometimes they are screwed into the lens mount but I assume you've checked that. The mount has a dovetail flange that the set screw tightens into, and M42 male threads other side.
Yes, I have this bellows and I can confirm it: it lacks the camera mount.
Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Pentax Bellows:

Rear fitting:

I would return it as Not as Described - Incomplete.
Such is eBay.
I have just bought a couple of "M42" adapters, I asked the vendor to confirm M42, but on arrival, they're T2. He doesn't think he should accept a return or pay shipping... :roll: :evil:

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ChrisR wrote:I have just bought a couple of "M42" adapters, I asked the vendor to confirm M42, but on arrival, they're T2. He doesn't think he should accept a return or pay shipping... :roll: :evil:
T2 is M42x0.75 while Pentax screw mount is M42x1. "M42" alone usually refers to M42x1 but it may be misleading.
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Bathcat wrote:On the subject of bellows, I got a Pentax bellows from ebay for a good price, was all excited to get started with it, and quickly found that it has a "back" mount I couldn't recognize:
Not this one, I hope:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/honeywell-penta ... 7675.l2557
Pau

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

Bleh! Well, guess I'll return them. I looked into it and it seems that finding or making an adapter that would be safe to put my camera on would probably be more trouble than just returning this and finding another set.

Thanks guys!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

T2 is M42x0.75 while Pentax screw mount is M42x1.
I'm well aware. All explained to seller prior to sale... ](*,)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic