Nikon MPlan 60x 0.70 ELWD : Teardown and Patent.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Greenfields

Nikon MPlan 60x 0.70 ELWD : Teardown and Patent.

Post by Greenfields »

This post is primarily of theoretical interest.

If you attempt to dismantle a modern objective to examine or repair it there appears to be a high risk that it will perform badly.

For some information on the potential complexity of assembling a microscope objective see this post by discomorphella:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=129865

Received a Nikon MPlan 60x 0.70 objective. It was not the item illustrated and was damaged.

The seller immediately refunded the payment so I accept that mistakes happen. The seller did not want the objective returned.

First the usual pictures of the barrel design:

And the front element:

The front element has been smashed [it is cracked around much of its circumference] and has a deep and obvious gouge.

The element appears to have been decentred.

My first thought was that this may illustrate of how much damage an objective can sustain but still produce a serviceable [but probably reduced contrast] image.

It didn’t.

This is an uncropped stack of slime-mould spores [5DIII + extension tube set to give a mount-to-sensor distance of 200mm]. Even at this scale the definition of the objective is useless.

The outer barrel unscrewed easily. to reveal a familiar inner barrel. There was no evidence of thread locking compound.

The inner barrel has a chrome plated, annular screw cap which retains the stack of lens cells inside.

They are not the eleven individual elements, but six metal cells including the front and rear assemblies: all 17.95mm in diameter, plus one spacer ring and two thin shims.

I was surprised to see clear, old fingerprints on the metal cell sides [not mine! I handled the objective and lens cells with vinyl gloves]. I would not have thought that Nikon handled the cells during assembly without gloves so suspect that the objective had been opened before.

When the cell containing the front element was handled the lens element actually fell out.

The way lens surfaces and retaining rings protrude from the cells limits the number of ways they can fit together perfectly. The only potential ambiguity is the position of the spacer ring. However: to fit the patent this must be placed in front of the rearmost cell.

The outer surface of the rear element looks strange under oblique illumination: Is this just thin-film interference in the outer anti-reflection coating, or is it delamination of the coating ?

The appearance of the internal optical arrangement closely - but not quite exactly - matches example 1 [figures 1 and 4] of Nikon's US Patent 4,588,264 dated May 13 1986 credited to Yoshiyuki Shimizu

I have superimposed the patent drawing on the stack of cells. The fit is almost exact: better than it appears to be from these illustrations because the geometrical projections of a photograph of the stack and the orthogonal drawing in the patent are different. The ways in which individual convex elements and retaining rings protrude into adjacent cells all fit. The only difference I can see is that there is an air gap behind the front element in the objective but not in the drawing.

Although it’s rarely possible to be certain that a patent really does match a manufacturer product, this does appear to be close enough to be confident that this objective is based on the patent. Perhaps the design was re-optimised before production.

Observation 1:

The ray fan plot shows that the lens design is limited to a field number [image diameter at the eyepiece] of c.18mm. Beyond 18mm [a radius of 9mm on the plots] aberrations increase rapidly, just as seen in practice with most Nikon objectives from that time.

The 11 elements use nine different glass formulae. I have plotted them on a modern Schott Abbe diagram to show how diverse they are. [Other manufacturers produce equivalent glass maps]. One of the Nikon glass types is even off the edge of the current Schott chart [though charts from a decade ago do extend that far suggesting that the glass type has since been eliminated for environmental reasons]. The elements are numbered from the front.

Henry
Feel free to edit my images.

alligator

Great Post!

Post by alligator »

Very informative, Thanks! Great post.

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Nikon MPlan 60x 0.70 ELWD : Teardown and Patent.

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Greenfields wrote:I would not have thought that Nikon handled the cells during assembly without gloves so suspect that the objective had been opened before.
Indeed. In image 6, you can see 4 bores. As far as I know, these would have held little plugs/spacers inserted in the factory to achive axial centering. If anybody was to open an objective like this, they would loose that centering irreparably (i.e. don't do it). I don't know how/if there is also horizontal centering of the individual segments (would be very interesting to know how this is done). When removing the stack, the positions should be marked along the outside!

Ichthy

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks for making the effort to write this up: great entertainment on a slow Sunday morning.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Me too -- thanks for the careful analysis and documentation!

--Rik

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The interference colors are likely due to delamination of cemented lens elements. Unfortunately one sees this all too often on older optics. :cry:

It is always a very bad idea to open an objective.

A friend of mine and member of this list, purchased two examples of the Wild ApoZoom objective for the M400. They were inexpensive , and came from tropical countries , complete with internal fungus. He WAS able to disassemble them and clean them. However he has not been able to get them reassembled in a fashion , such that they work properly , even though he took diligent notes and pictures during disassembly. Even though he has set screws going right back where they were the lenses don't perform right.

Never take an objective apart unless you are the manufacturer. They have jigging and collimators and test gear specific for the job at hand. Only the most advanced person could do it out in the field.

Field service manuals from Zeiss use hilarious imperative parts of speech to warn field service techs that " No further field dissassembly is permitted! Factory adjustment ONLY!!" But they get the point across.

Of course if you have nothing to lose why not examine how they are made. This Nikon objective looks very nice. I am sure the fingerprints were not put there by anyone employed by Nikon.

Thank you for posting the information.
This forum is always very interesting.

Olympusman

Nikon objective

Post by Olympusman »

With that much damage on the front element, I would give it up. There will always be lens flare and lack of contrast that would negatively effect image quality.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Henry, thanks for this interesting and superbly conducted tear down and documentation. This sort of thing really adds to our knowledge base.

I have a good copy of this lens, and the damage to the copy you documented really made me wince.

--Chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Henry

Thanks for taking the time to post and share this.

Very interesting information!

Robert

harisA

Post by harisA »

Thank you for your time to share the information with us.

Your presentation was very professional.

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Excellent presentation. The overlay images and comparisons to the actual patent and optical data are superb. You can just imagine how many possible combinations of rotational and translational motions of all those groups with respect to each other that one would have to make to bring the lens back to its original specs. And that of course would entail measuring those ray fans etc. accurately. Like I said, the members of this forum could do it if anyone could, but you would only have time to get a precious few photographs while you spent the rest of your day trying to realign those groups of lenses.
Very nice work.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic