Sony announces A7 and A7r full frame mirrorless cameras

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crisarg

Sony announces A7 and A7r full frame mirrorless cameras

Post by crisarg »

Some links here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/16 ... a7-and-a7r

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/16 ... a7-and-a7r

For macro usage: the A7r has a mechanical shutter with no EFSC support? Not sure yet. And it seems they have wired remote support. That would be excellent!
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

I saw one review which stated it did not have EFCS. Its native ISO is 200. Its max flash sync speed is 1/160 of a second as well. Several reviews have mentioned it has a very loud shutter(which likely translates to lots of vibration).

All potential drawbacks to what appears to be a very nice looking camera.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Also, so far as I've read, Sony cameras do not have robust tethering software available (though some Sony models are compatible with tethered capture in Lightroom, this offers very limited functionality). That would make this body a non-starter for me.

--Chris

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Well,

That A7r was likely going to replace my 5D mkII but not anymore, the A7 though could do it. I guess that the data on the 36mpx sensor is to much information for the electronic shutter to work properly

I sold my 5D mkII because I like some features on my NEX-5n more, I do not use tethering but I know newer sony models can be controled via wifi (A7 and A7r include camera control software from a PC, just go to Features>postshot features in the links I_ provide)

I will save that money either to get the A7 or a newer APS-C model (NEX-7 succesor is rumored to have 32mpx)

Full specs here

A7
http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/p ... l#overview

A7R
http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/p ... index.html

crisarg

Post by crisarg »

Base ISO is 100 for both cameras.

Looks like I'll settle for A7 model. It's the cheapest FF camera in Europe. :D
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I have been toying with the idea of a full frame camera myself. The obvious competitor for a small form full frame is the Canon EOS 6D, which is available in the UK for about £1100 body only. The comparable opening price for the A7 is £1300, but no doubt it will drop a little when supplies start coming in volume. The 6D has a lot going for it coming from a well established stable of full frame cameras, with EFSC, and full remote shooting via USB and WiFi. I'd need some convincing that the A7 offers significant advantages over this.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Chris S. wrote:. . .robust tethering software. . .
seta666 wrote:. . .I do not use tethering but I know newer sony models can be controled via wifi. . .[/url]
My knowledge of Sony software is limited to what I read, but so far, Sony's remote control capability doesn't appear to be particularly robust.

For example, if the information here (click on page 251 next to the yellow-highlighted words "Remote Camera Control") is correct and current, it doesn't appear that you can set the aperture or shutter speed from the remote application. Perhaps this is simply an author's omission?

With Nikon Capture Control Pro 2 software, which I most often use for tethering, I rarely need to touch the camera during a macro studio session. I have access to nearly all settings I need from the keyboard and mouse of the PC. This includes not only the obvious things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, flash mode, etc., but settings from the camera's menu system, such as shutter delay. Live view is also accessible and controllable within the program.

Controlmynikon is perhaps even more robust (for example, offering real time histograms), but I have much less experience with it. Reportedly, Canon shooters have similarly powerful remote control options. If full, robust remote control is equally easy for Sony cameras, a detailed user review would be an interesting read.

For my style of working in the macro studio, the ability to shoot, evaluate on a big screen, change camera settings, and repeat as necessary--without taking my eyes or hands from the computer--is important. And with the good reviews coming in on the Camranger, I'm tempted to give the device a try for remote-controlled work in the field. At this time, Camranger works with Nikon and Canon bodies only.

The main attraction I see in these new full-frame offerings from Sony is their shallow register depth, which might be convenient for mounting certain lenses in some situations. This might be of significant value to some photographers.

--Chris

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I am not interested in tethering because I keep computer and camera as different setups; I may be taking a picture while processing others.

However the idea of viewing the image on a large screen is nice, NEX cameras can output the liveview to an HDMI monitor without needing any computer, that is something I plan to add to my studio set up.

In the field I preffer the NEX over the Canons, I find liveview to be more responsive on the Sony's. You have to wait around 1-2 seconds from shot to shot on the Canon while the NEX is ready shot almost inmediately

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

The reviewer for the a7r I had saw for the previously had a preproduction model, so I guess the base ISO changed or it was misstated. It is also is good to see that the a7 model does have efcs. Looking a bit better.

The camranger app looks pretty interesting.The a7r and a7 support the camera apps, but reading through the api here http://camera.developer.sony.com it appears quite limited still. Hopefully they update it a lot, and things could become much more interesting. It appears there are some additional apis that are available, but do not currently work here http://blog.pismob.com/post/63245861197 ... bidden-for

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic