34.5 mm filter adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

34.5 mm filter adapter

Post by enricosavazzi »

Some of the older EL-Nikkor lenses, as well as a few other enlarger and legacy camera lenses, have a 34.5 mm filter mount. It is usually difficult or impossible to find a step-up or reversing ring of this size (Nikon used to make a reversing ring, but it is now rare and expensive). In the past, I resorted to permanently epoxy 34 mm filter adapters into the filter mounts of some of these lenses. Other EL-Nikkors have a 40.5 mm filter mount, for which adapters are easily found.

I recently noticed that an eBay seller is offering a 34.5 to 52 mm step-up filter adapter that can be used for this purpose. Price is higher than comparable items from China, but not impossibly so if you only need one or a couple and don't want to permanently modify the lens. The possibility remains that a cheaper China source will eventually be found.

The adapter is eBay item 251296844451, or 251296871435 which is a discounted item (mechanically identical but with slightly defective printing/labelling that does not affect its use).

I have no connection with the seller, except for having bought one of the rings with defective printing, which works fine on my EL Nikkors (but beware that some other lenses use an apparent 35 mm filter mount which is not compatible).
--ES

killawatts

Post by killawatts »

Its funny I JUST purchased one of the defective copies for my 80mm F5.6 yesterday.

Looking forward to receiving this adapter!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

This seller in Portugal also has some useful items.
http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Photo-Tools

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Greenfields

Post by Greenfields »

SRB Griturn will make you any adapter you want a reasonable cost. Just email a sketch and they will give you as price.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/

I have no connection with the firm, but they have made several excellent pieces for me.

The best thing is that you can include lips [e.g. to cover the shiny ring at the end of a microscope objective's thread] and grips [so you can get hold of the thing when you need to] exactly where you wish

Henry.
Feel free to edit my images.

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

I had mine made at SRB Griturn and it worked out well. I don't remember the cost, but it was in the double digits and they had experience doing those, so it was a breeze and the resulting ring fits well.

Naturally any competenet mechanics shop can make such and adapter, price may vary though.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Interestingly, Nikon seems to have chosen 34.5mm as a standard filter size for their latest batch of MILC cameras, so many more options for 34.5mm accessories, adapters, add-ons, etc are becoming available. I bought a 34.5mm polarizing filter recently, which was useful for mounting some accessories I wanted to be rotatable on an EL-Nikkor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic