a bargain ;-) on ebay__ 20 x Nikkor O 55mm CRT-lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

typestar

a bargain ;-) on ebay__ 20 x Nikkor O 55mm CRT-lenses

Post by typestar »

in case: For all of you, who have to less lenses at home, here a real bargain...:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

:lol:

regards,
christian

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Really neat lot of lenses. I think these are optimized for 1:5 magnification to image the old 6" diameter CRT oscilloscopes. Has anyone here tested one of these to see how well it performs in other uses? Not that I'm considering buying them, just curious...

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

At least Bjørn Rørslett highly praises this lens - when used within its design magnification range.
Cheers
Harry

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

JML made an apparently "similar" lens, many of which have been on ebay with an electronic shutter, at about fifty bucks for years.
Fun to play with for the aperture, a noticeably curved field to suit a CRT, but not excitingly sharp.

dickb

Post by dickb »

ChrisR wrote:JML made an apparently "similar" lens, many of which have been on ebay with an electronic shutter, at about fifty bucks for years.
Fun to play with for the aperture, a noticeably curved field to suit a CRT, but not excitingly sharp.
JML made 2 different 56mm f/1.2 lenses, as far as I know. One is the one you mention in an electronic shutter,(with larger front and rear elements than the Nikon), the other is an almost exact copy of the Nikkor-O, with M39 mount.

I own the Nikkor-O lens and enjoy using it very much, it gives an extremely shallow DOF I like with a very nice contrast between the very sharp focussed subject and the wallowing OOF rendition.

The electronic shutter version may also be fun to play with, but its apparent lack of sharpness says nothing about the M39 mount lenses.

dickb

Post by dickb »

ChrisR wrote:JML made an apparently "similar" lens, many of which have been on ebay with an electronic shutter, at about fifty bucks for years.
JML made 2 different 56mm f/1.2 lenses, as far as I know. One is the one you mention in an electronic shutter,(with larger front and rear elements than the Nikon), the other is an almost exact copy of the Nikkor-O, with M39 mount.

I own the Nikkor-O lens and enjoy using it very much, it gives an extremely shallow DOF I like with a very nice contrast between the very sharp focussed subject and the wallowing OOF rendition.

The electronic shutter version may also be fun to play with, but its apparent lack of sharpness says nothing about the M39 mount lenses.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Harry wrote:At least Bjørn Rørslett highly praises this lens - when used within its design magnification range.
Cheers
Harry,
Do you have a link.....something to explore further?

I found this information:
This very rare speciality lens was made for industrial use to record faint cathode-screen traces and came with a long Leica-thread mount. It can be mounted on any Nikon camera with the LF adapter and a restricted focusing range is achieved by rotating it in the adapter. It is optimised for the limited magnification range 1:4.4-1:5.5 only and here it delivers exceptionally sharp images. Peak performance is between f/1.4 and f/4 so the lens is extremely useful for hand-held close-ups. Its quality for flower photography is further enhanced by a negative field curvature thus enabling both central and outer floral areas to be in sharp focus even at wide aperture settings.
Be aware that using this lens way outside its optimum magnification range will induce severe spherical aberration, flare, and changes in field curvature. All these alterations may or may not be desirable for a given task.
Reference: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html
dickb wrote:I own the Nikkor-O lens and enjoy using it very much, it gives an extremely shallow DOF I like with a very nice contrast between the very sharp focussed subject and the wallowing OOF rendition.
Can you point to some samples?

I have what appears to be half of a JML 56 f/1.2 and an adapter, not quite sure what happened to the other half. It's probably time I pointed it at something to see what happens.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

dickb

Post by dickb »

Craig Gerard wrote:
dickb wrote:I own the Nikkor-O lens and enjoy using it very much, it gives an extremely shallow DOF I like with a very nice contrast between the very sharp focussed subject and the wallowing OOF rendition.
Can you point to some samples?
https://picasaweb.google.com/dickbphoto ... 1786133698

https://picasaweb.google.com/dickbphoto ... 7273322802

These were taken in combination with a Canon 5D mkII.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic