Olympus 100x Achromat versus Apochromat, added 20x and 40x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

That's a great comparison Rolf. Of these two objectives I would definitely choose the achromat. Even the color is much more vibrant. I would suspect there is a problem with this particular apo objective. I've had numerouse Zeiss apo's that gave poor contrast like this due to delamination of internal lenses. On the other hand the two pristine zeiss apos(no delamination) I've had gave an excellent image.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Curt, In post processing you can easily increase contrast but not resolution. Longitudinal CA is not easy to remove (although sometimes stacking can deal with nicely). Just play a bit with levels in PS.

So, even with less contrast in Rolf's comparison (not in all comparisons!) I would prefer the Plan Apo.

IMO for most classical microscope work, the only real (and BIG) advantage of Achros is the price (and for not very demanding applications they are good enough).

As Rolf says Plan Fluorites are a good compromise between them (most of my objectives are plan fluorites for this reason, but I prefer plan apos).
Pau

normandy

Re: Olympus 100x Achromat versus Apochromat, added 20x and 40x

Post by normandy »

I would like to know what condenser you are using?

I am assuming you are using a BHS stand?

Are you using the NIC early one with fixed prisms? Or the later Universal with interchangeable Wollastons?

I also have both DIC systems on my Vanox's and the two systems do not perform as well with the SPlan Apos, but they do very well with the SPlans.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic