Metz mecablitz 15 MS-1 digital Macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

enricosavazzi wrote:I can only guess from the Metz web site as source of information. I believe this is, basically, an ordinary ring flash equipped with two independent semicircular tubes and with a small sector of each tube backed by an adjustable reflector and covered by a less diffusing window that the rest of the tubes.
Close. It's two small, straight tubes, and there's literally nothing behind the diffuser on most of the circle, so the "ring form" flash acts like a small, straight flash on either side of the lens.

I don't want my light sources opposed 180 degrees on a circle. The lighting possibilities are limited, and the results tend towards ugly.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:
enricosavazzi wrote:I can only guess from the Metz web site as source of information. I believe this is, basically, an ordinary ring flash equipped with two independent semicircular tubes and with a small sector of each tube backed by an adjustable reflector and covered by a less diffusing window that the rest of the tubes.
Close. It's two small, straight tubes, and there's literally nothing behind the diffuser on most of the circle, so the "ring form" flash acts like a small, straight flash on either side of the lens.

I don't want my light sources opposed 180 degrees on a circle. The lighting possibilities are limited, and the results tend towards ugly.
Hi Joseph,

thanks for the opinion. Did you tested it?
Like you I think this a very practical unit but with 180 degrees flashes (always) position. It´s limited as you say.

What´s your suggestion as an alternative? The usual two regular flashes like the Metz 52 AF-1 (or others) off camera/with the help of brackets?

I´m afraid of the limitations and the dull results ,-(
But it´s very practical in and outdoors; don´t you think?
Thanks.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

Opinions please .-) about flash light power for macro.
What about two smaller flashes like this Metz:

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/produ ... canon.html

Do I really need a 52 guide number unit(s) for macro like the Metz 52 AF-1?
O stronger flash can be regulated for less light. A weaker flash cannot give more than it´s maximum...

The kit would be two 24 AF-1+brackets+wireless transceiver or a master unit like the Metz 52 AF-1. My camera has no flash.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cunha wrote:stronger flash can be regulated for less light.
Yes but there is a limit to the brevity of the minimum duration, which means you can get overexposure, when the flash is too close to the subject, if the exposure is controlled by metering.

Another consideration is that more powerful units are generally larger and heavier. This may not be the case e.g. when one hotshoe-mounted control unit operates a choice of flash heads.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

Harold Gough wrote:
Yes but there is a limit to the brevity of the minimum duration, which means you can get overexposure, when the flash is too close to the subject, if the exposure is controlled by metering.

Another consideration is that more powerful units are generally larger and heavier. This may not be the case e.g. when one hotshoe-mounted control unit operates a choice of flash heads.

Harold
Hi Harold,
what you mean is that smaller flashes like the Metz 24 AF-1 are better choices for a macro setup than the bigger ones? Are enough light and specs for this kind of work?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cunha wrote:
Harold Gough wrote:

Harold
Hi Harold,
what you mean is that smaller flashes like the Metz 24 AF-1 are better choices for a macro setup than the bigger ones? Are enough light and specs for this kind of work?
That depends on a number of variables.

For example: My guns can have the beam spread over a wider angle or concentrated into a narrower beam, either of these achieved by accessory plastic lenses on the front of the flashgun. Thus, you can decrease or increase the guide number. I have no idea which current, or recent, models have this provision.

The distance of the flash from the front of the lens (on hotshoe, next to the filter ring, or out on an arm), with or without the guide number-modifying lenses I described, can give you variations of one or two stops, possibly more, of exposure.

All of the preceding can be used with metered flash or fully manual, the latter requiring calibration for each lens or lens + extension. This is why I try to use a standard extension with only two apertures and mostly one or two focal lengths. (Fortunately, using a zoom, of which the maximum aperture changes with focal length, keeps my exposure constant because the effects cancel each other out).

As I mostly use twin flash I may be more concerned about weight than a user of a single flash. Whether the batteries are in the flash unit or in a control unit on the hotshoe can significantly impact the weight tending to lever your camera downwards. My arms can get quite tired during an hour of field photograpfy, even without using flash.

When it comes to working at about 1:1 in sunlight, you might want to consider if flash is the best option.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

My main macro work is indoors because I like (my kind of images are from objects-still lives) and because of the weight of a 5DMk II+MP-E 65m (and now + flashes).
Indoors I´ve no problem because I use a tripod, table, etc. No weight to carry.

The mecablitz 15 MS-1 for macro is a way to go outside too.
But I guess (and I´m reading a lot about light+macro) that the most controllable less limiting setup are regular flashes off camera to play with them at will.

I sometimes use a Fotoflex light cube (LiteIgloo 32"); so off camera flashes are better.

Will the small ones do the job? Close to the subject and outside the cube (or both or a mixed setup in and outside the cube)? That I don´t know yet.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:

Interesting. Then I will hazard another guess: light from the two small tubes is spread sideways along the circumference of the ring by an array of molded microprisms similar to those used to distribute light from a fluorescent tube or a row of LEDs onto the back surface of a LCD screen. This also means the power of this flash should be quite limited, and good only for close-up and macro use (probably too little for using it as a "beauty dish" for studio portraits).
--ES

DQE

Post by DQE »

I'm not sure the issue I will raise here is always relevant, but the ability of the flash heads to sustain a high duty cycle may be important for some applications.

AFAIK, some Quantum flash units are the only ones in common use that can be used without cooling off between bursts of maximum output flash exposures.

Through ignorance of this issue and while operating under unusual conditions, I managed to burn out/melt the flash heads of my first MT-24 flash unit after roughly 30 exposures. This was an expensive mistake! I was operating it manually under near maximum flash output for about 200 exposures, ignoring the clear specifications in the user manual.

For the MT-24 unit, only 15 maximum or half-output flash exposures should be obtained in rapid succession without a 10 minute cooling off period. At 1/16 to 1/64 output, 40 flashes are allowed before the 10 minute cooling-off period. I believe that only some newer, non-macro flash units have thermal overload sensors, which would hopefully prevent burning out the flash head(s).

These duty-cycle specifications are from page 39 of the Canon MT-24 user manual.

At least one of the Quantum flash units is designed for unlimited max output flash cycles, probably for things like wedding photography. I'm not aware that other flash units, especially the models sold by the camera vendors, are able to do this.

Here's a quote from the Quantum site:

http://qtm.com/index.php/products/qflas ... 0-overview.

"Durable and Reliable"

"Heavy-duty components permit hours of rapid firing using AC or DC power without fear of failure or temporary shutdown caused by flash overheating."

These limits may be important for some types of flash-exposed stacks. Perhaps occasionally touching the flash heads to make sure they are not overheating would be sufficient?

I hope this information is helpful.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cunha wrote:My main macro work is indoors because I like (my kind of images are from objects-still lives) and because of the weight of a 5DMk II+MP-E 65m (and now + flashes).
Indoors I´ve no problem because I use a tripod, table, etc. No weight to carry.
In that case, you have the option, should you require it, of bouncing the main light off e.g. a (white) ceiling for directional, diffusion and possibly guide number control.

For such use, I would tend to use guns of intermediate power, to maintain flexibility in my kit.

Harold

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

I´m more and more far away form the MS-1 solution. Now I discovered that there´s no need for a Canon IR device like the ST-E2 to master the Metz off camera flashes wirelessly because the new, tiny and affordable Canon Speedlite 90 EX for the Canon-M is an IR master unit ,-) And very light. When in master mode doesn´t produce light at all.

My plan is a Canon Speedlite 90 EX and maybe two Metz 52 AF-1 which is the most recent Metz flashes with very nice features and more affordable than the Canon flashes.
Maybe it´s a nice setup for macro and other uses and also a tiny flash for travel light (family stuff) with a compact camera.

Opinions are most welcome.
Thanks.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

Anyone using the recent (2012) Canon 600 EX-RT? Seems a very nice piece of gear and future oriented. A bit expensive?! Maybe not that expensive if works really well. Includes radio and optical wireless functions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic