Suggested version of photoshop?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

Suggested version of photoshop?

Post by BugEZ »

It is past time for me to purchase PhotoShop.

So.... Is there any reason not to purchase an older version? Does the rollup to CS6 make much difference?

Ill be using it on my relatively new PC with 64 bit windows 7 op system...

Thanks,

Keith

elf

Post by elf »

I haven't found a good excuse to upgrade from CS4. I keep trying to convince myself that I need the latest and greatest, but it's not working :)

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Keith,

On my recent PC build, I installed PS CS6. My prior editing machine had PS CS3 and PS CS5 on it. I was very familiar with the CS3 interface, and went back to it whenever I was in a hurry to get something done--which, as it turned out, was most of the time. So I never really got used to CS5 (which had also been true of CS4, before it). The reason for only putting CS6 on the new machine is to force myself to get used to it. Somewhere amongst these versions, Adobe massively moved the cheese--I keep having to figure out how to do things I used to do practically in my sleep. But as I get used to CS6, I'm quite liking it.

Since you're starting out with PS, you might as well learn where the cheese is, not where it was. And Adobe incents us to stay current with upgrade pricing and software update availability. Also, when you come across a useful tutorial or new approach for doing something, it will usually be demonstrated using the latest software version--so maintaining software currency makes it easier to improve as a user.

--Chris

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Thanks Chris S. and elf. I'll consider this. As I am not "upgrading" the full fare price is rather high for the latest and greatest...

I may chat a bit with the gent in my company's photo department and get his spin also.

Heck, shopping is half the fun anyway!

Keith
Aloha

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Keith,

An Adobe 'Cloud' subscription is another option. I'm subscribed to the Adobe Creative Cloud bundle because I use a number of other packages in the bundle; it includes the Extended version of Photoshop CS6 and many other programs such as Lightroom (which I don't use). When you do the numbers the Cloud subscription alternative holds up rather well.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I just used up my 30-day free trial for CS6 but decided not to buy it. CS5 works much better for me, Also, I found Bridge for CS6 to be a real pain, just love Bridge for CS5.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

NikonUser wrote:CS5 works much better for me, Also, I found Bridge for CS6 to be a real pain, just love Bridge for CS5.
NU, would you say that this is because CS5 is the better product, or because it is the product you are more accustomed to? Honest question, not a challenge! :D

--Chris

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Chris, unfortunately I don't recall what I disliked about CS6 as I used it for only a few times and that was at the start of the trial. I'm guessing that I could find no advantage over CS5 for the workflow I use. it did not seem worth the money (for me).
However, I suppose it makes sense to buy CS6 for a first-time buyer; but if one could buy CS5 for less money than CS6 then I believe CS5 would be a wise choice.
I may have to end up buying CS6 just to get access to Adobe's Raw Converted for the Nikon D600; but first have to look into other possibilities for obtaining Raw Converter 7.3
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

As NU alluded to, one of the key considerations may be your camera(s), and whether or not you shoot a lot of raw files. Adobe is very good at regularly updating Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for new cameras (as well as keeping backward compatibility) in the current version of Photoshop and Lightroom, but not previous or older versions. For example, CS4 will not be able to handle the raw files of any camera that was introduced when CS5 or CS6 was the current Photoshop version. There is a "work-around" in that Adobe always keeps it's free Adobe DNG Converter utility updated with current cameras. This converts raw files from any camera to a universal (as far as Adobe is concerned :wink: ) "DNG" format. This is still a raw file, but it can now be read and processed by any version of Photoshop from CS2 and up. It works fine but adds an additional step to the work-flow.

Also, the new "7.x" version of ACR (in CS6 and LR4) has seen some big changes. If you use raw files regularly and use Photoshop for processing these files then it may be worthwhile to consider some of the differences in that part of the program.
Here's a page that talks about the new ACR (perhaps a little too enthusiastically :wink: ):
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cs6/CameraRaw-7.html

I have found the new chromatic aberration correction feature in ACR 7 to be useful with microscope objectives that give considerable longitudinal color aberration (typically giving green or magenta coloration to some out of focus areas).

One other suggestion... If Photoshop is completely new to you, you may want to see it there is a nearby community college that offers Photoshop classes. If enrolled in such a class you might qualify for student pricing, which, with Adobe products, is a huge discount. At the same time the instruction will get you up to speed using the program (which can be very frustrating if you have never used it before).

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

That review of ACR 7. makes it look like something I can't live without; but I can.
Actually I just want to thank you for the reference to the DNG converter. I downloaded it and it easily, but perhaps somewhat slowly, converted my NEF files from the D600 to .dng and these then opened in ACR 6; - you have saved me some money - so Thanks Again :D :D
NU.
student of entomology

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I use PS only for resizing and contrast. Otherwise I use Topaz plugins. PS 7 seems perfectly adequate. I have no intention of buying other versions.

I should add that it won't open ORF RAW files but I do that with IrFanView, which saves files as many file types.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

I use CS6 on a new system, it's pretty good, I like the current interface. I can't see why one would want to buy an older version unless there were significant savings involved. I use the Adobe Cloud subscription model -- costs something like 20 euros a month and works well. In my country, a new PS license costs something around 1000 euros, which is a ridiculous price and not justifiable for someone like me who only very occassionally does paid photography.

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

I like the new raw converter, as well as the new background save feature. This means less waiting when working with big files.

Recently I had to work at someone's place using CS3. That was a good way to highlight how much I like some of the newer features.

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Many thanks to all for the various comments and recommendations. Especially Charles Krebs' timely suggestion of a photoshop class at a local community college. I checked the catalogue and a new intermediate photoshop class starts on Friday. Even better, it is at the satellite campus only 2 miles from my home! The instructor is an excellent fellow (we met on a photo safari to photograph eagles on the Mississippi) and I am looking forward to it greatly.

Kind regards,

Keith

BugEZ

update

Post by BugEZ »

A quick update on my Photoshop progress...

I enrolled in a community college community education class on Photoshop and discovered that the software they were teaching is Photoshop Elements (a low cost, de-featured version of Photoshop CS6). Prior to purchasing the software I read a variety of consumer reviews. Interestingly, one said most of the folks that purchase PS Elements are over 50 and that the menus and icons are were adjusted by Adobe to improve the visibility for seniors. The basic photo adjustment features (level adjustments, sharpening etc.) are available and relatively easy to use. It can import the RAW images from my camera. So, recognizing that this is a hobby, I chose to give it a try and purchased PSE 11 from Amazon for $50.

I have gone back into some of my legacy images and overhauled them with the PSE software and I am quite pleased with the results. Perhaps after I have more experience I will see the need for a more powerful tool, but for now I am quite pleased.

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic