JML 21mm f/3.5 first shot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Acon

JML 21mm f/3.5 first shot

Post by Acon »

Just got my adapter for the JML 21mm f/3.5 yesterday and I tested it with my DSLR today.

My equipments:
Nikon D3s DSLR
JML 21mm f/3.5 lens (used as a finite objective)
Nikon PB-6 bellow
Nikon R1C1 flash set
StackShot rail

Let's see the adapter first:
It's a custom made metal adapter with the diameter exactly the same as the JML lens. On the left of the picture is the JML, on the right is the adapter, the tail of the adapter is a M42 male thread. I took this picture in my studio.

There are 3 small inner hexagon screws designed for locking the lens (the JML has a round slot on its tail, as you can see in the picture above. I used these 3 screws to fit into this slot but one can also slide the lens deeper and let the screws "bite" the surface of the lens). (updated in 4/8/2012: I found it better to wind couples of layer of tapes around the round slot inside, or the screws will eat some paint of the surface)

Here is the picture of the two things put together nicely.

This is my setup with Nikon PB-6 bellow, I used a T2-ring to connect the bellow and the adapter. (The T2-ring has a 42mm female thread on one side and a F-mount on the other)

Here is the first thing I test with this setup, a very small flower:

And the result here. 7x magnification, each image with shutter speed=1/250 and custom WB. 145 Stacks in Zerene Stacker (PMax).

Full resolution here :http://www.better-design.com.tw/downloa ... -07-31.jpg

Another setup with 3 Kenko extension tubes (together for 6X magnification)

Test shot of a needle, each image with shutter speed=1/250 and custom WB. 40 Stacks in Zerene Stacker (PMax). Photoshop sharpening and retouching.

Full resolution here :http://www.better-design.com.tw/downloa ... -08-03.jpg

Similar set with one Kenko extension tubes for 4.5X magnification. A head of a nail, each image with shutter speed=1/250 and custom WB. 98 Stacks in Zerene Stacker (PMax). Photoshop sharpening and retouching.

Full resolution here :http://www.better-design.com.tw/downloa ... -08-13.jpg

The results are very good to me. Any comment is welcomed.
Last edited by Acon on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 am, edited 15 times in total.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Nice solution. I wonder what DIY alternatives might be produced by those purchasers who wanted to make their own adapters.

I'll leave it to experienced stackers to comment on the image.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adapter looks great. Stack looks good too -- about what we're used to seeing from the JML 21. One issue is that I had a lot of trouble getting through the shortcut URL. Direct link is to http://www.better-design.com.tw/downloa ... -07-31.jpg.

--Rik

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Has been very good photo, Acon.

This mount is very good. But I make a frame that snaps, no screws, and I cut a piece to the lens may be fitted for a diaphragm. It is perfect and we can benefit from the use of a diaphragm with very interesting results. It is in my opinion (not because I have done) the best mount I've seen for this lens. It is made of acetal (a very durable plastic and easy to work on a lathe) and the external thread, is aluminum M42. The downside is that you remove at lens the letters of the name.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Nice setup, nifty adapter and great result, Acon.

I like the added diaphrag, Javier. I wonder what the results are when stopped down.
Last edited by canonian on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acon

Post by Acon »

Javier, I can't see your photos, your image host site seem not to allow direct iamge links....

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

rjlittlefield wrote: One issue is that I had a lot of trouble getting through the shortcut URL.
Strange. I had no problem.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Acon

Post by Acon »

I can see them now by clicking the error image to link to the original imageshack pages.

Javier's work is cool, it seems to need good skills. And what's the benefit of the iris? I saw some adapter with iris on ebay (maybe M42 but I don't remember the detail), what if I add such a adapter to my recent adapter behind? Will the same effect or benefit appear like Javier's one?

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

If you put the lens as you have, then there is great distance from the lens back to the iris, and would make a picture clipping effect. Therefore I cut the lens, so that the rear lens remains as close to the diaphragm. Thus it would be more effective. The reason for putting the diaphragm is to make the last photo of the stack and thus have a less sharp background blur. I wonder if you understand me.
If this photo had not closed the diaphragm in the last photo, there would be nothing wing of the bee.

bee-red por Javier Replinger, en Flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

jotafoto wrote:and thus have a less sharp background blur.
I think this got a little scrambled in the translation.

Stopping down makes the background less blurred, more sharp.

--Rik

Acon

Post by Acon »

So a diaphragm (=iris?) acts like a aperture of a normal camera lens? Shrink the the diaphragm down to add the depth of field just like we normally do with raising the f-stop number?
Last edited by Acon on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Thanks Rik. You know that my english is very bad...

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Acon wrote:So a diaphragm (=iris?) acts like a aperture of a normal camera lens? Shrink the the diaphragm down to add the depth of field just like we normally do with raising the f-stop number?
Yes Acon. We use it to make the last picture with more depth of field and get the cut between the sharp and blurred more gradual. If you do not use it, what with the sharp focus, there is an abrupt jump.
regards

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

Very nice adapters and examples. Those setups seem to be very good.

Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

Acon wrote:The result is very good to me. I couldn't test the smaller magnification because with 7X my bellow is squeezed to it's shortest distance.
Hi Acon, Lovely capture and nice adapter. Looks solid. Can you also reverse the JML lens in the adapter?

I know the pitch is different, but have you tried mounting the jml adapter on your T2 to Nikon mount ? Sometimes you are able to do this depending on how its machined.
jotafoto wrote: If this photo had not closed the diaphragm in the last photo, there would be nothing wing of the bee.
Hi Javier, Great photo. How far did you close down the diaphragm in this photo?

Thanks,
Rakes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic