BH-2 vs BX60. Advice please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doc.Al

BH-2 vs BX60. Advice please

Post by Doc.Al »

Hi,

I find myself with the opportunity to buy an Olympus BX60 Fluorescence microscope at a very reasonable price and am considering replacing my BH-2 (5 Splan objectives and polarising setup). My ultimate aim is to end up with a DIC microscope to attempt to capture something similar to the images that the members of this site post regularly.

So my question is:

Should I keep the BH-2 and hope that I can first win the lottery, and then then find a nice DIC set for sale, or should I go for the BX60 and buy the DIC components for this scope (might still need the lottery win though).

Your advice would be most welcome.

Alex
Nikon Labophot 2 with CFN objectives.
Canon MP-E65 and StackShot

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Doc.Al

If you really want DIC, go with the BX60.

I had the same question a few years ago. If there were more BH2 DIC sets out there I would have gone with the BHS. But there are very, very few and I wasn't sure I'd live long enough to grab one. :D After lots of frustrated looking, and a lot of overtime at work, I bought a BX50 and DIC setup from a dealer. I just ordered an upgraded universal condenser (U-UDC8 to replace my U-UCDB) a couple of days ago from Olympus. I haven't regretted it a bit.

The BX series and infinity optics are very, very nice, and they'll be supported for a long time.

Support for the BH2 series is fading. A few weeks ago, Olympus service told me they discontinued support of the power boards for the BH2's. That's not too much of an issue if you can repair one, otherwise it's just buying another stand for the board. Still, it's not the best thing that could happen. I know the hospital I used to work for just got rid of two BHTU's because they couldn't repair the power boards.

Tom

Doc.Al

Post by Doc.Al »

Thanks Tom,

I think it will cost a respectable amount of money to get DIC on either scope, but you point about scarcity of parts and support is important.

I will be viewing the BX60 in the next few days and so will assess the condition, before I make a decision.

I do, however feel slightly reluctant to give up the BH-2 (I can't afford to keep both) as it is a lovely instrument and in great condition considering it's age.

Alex

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Alex,

I had a Nikon Labophot then decided to go for DIC with infinity optics, in the transition I got a Nikon Optiphot with DIC and I was tempted to keep it and stop my search for infinity optics, I sold the Optiphot to make more funds and finally I ended with Nikon Eclipse DIC infinity optics and I am very happy with it. If you can afford the BX-60 then go for it.

Rogelio

Doc.Al

Post by Doc.Al »

Thanks Rogelio,

I have just made an offer on the BX60, based on what I think I can get for the BH-2 and so will see how it goes.

Alex

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic