Membership JML 20X Purchase

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

didin22 wrote:Chris,
Thank you for all!
I'm sure you meant to type "Rich"!

didin22

Post by didin22 »

Chris S. wrote:
didin22 wrote:Chris,
Thank you for all!
I'm sure you meant to type "Rich"!
Yes of course! Chris, Rich--sorry for the 'mistranslation' :-)

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

OK, everyone, all 16 lenses from Sunnking were just delivered. They are in separate viles in the box set up with slots for 30 lenses packed per box. There is very little padding or bubble wrap that was used to package the lenses.

I will have to use peanuts and/or bubble wrap that I have purchased for shipping to package all of the lenses to ship them off to everyone. I will probably have to add a small amount to the shipping charges for all of the packages that I am sending out which appears to be a total of 11 packages. It will probably only be about $1 or so per package. I had expected that Sunnking would use more packaging material.

I believe that I have a sufficient number of boxes to ship the lenses to everyone.

I have to check on the options of shipping the package off to South Africa with the USPS since it was requested to be better protected for the shipping and for its arrival.

I will be sending PMs to many/most of you that I will be shipping the packages to directly so that you can supply me with your shipping information.

If you have specific requirements regarding the shipment of your lens, please provide that information in your PMs.

I will also be sending and including my Paypal account along with amount for the total payment including shipping plus a 4.1% international Paypal charges. That is unless someone can provide a way so that there is no additional charge.

Since the lenses only cost around $31.50 including shipping to me, unless you specifically request insurance I will not provide beyond what would normally be covered through USPS.

I will start to get all of the lenses and the boxes together for shipment, but I do not anticipated getting any lenses out tomorrow since I have to do some errands tomorrow. Please once you get the request for payment, please make payment via Paypal. I will not ship your lenses until I have received payment. So, the longer I wait for payment the longer it will be before shipment of your lens.

I hope to get the lenses out Wednesday and/or Thursday in one or 2 trips to the USPS. Unless something changes, that is a total of 11 boxes for shipment. One of the boxes will be for the 5 lenses shipped to the UK with lens distributed once this arrives in the UK.

Rich

shrek

Post by shrek »

OK for me
jp

Blcak

Post by Blcak »

Is there any experience with shipping time?
I had one with the expensive UPS service, NYC (BH-Photo) to me took a mere 36 hours, but the much prefered cheaper shipping certainly won't be as fast.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Blcak wrote:Is there any experience with shipping time?
I had one with the expensive UPS service, NYC (BH-Photo) to me took a mere 36 hours, but the much prefered cheaper shipping certainly won't be as fast.
Hi David,

I have not sent items via First Class International Mail before. I have sent things by Priority International Mail. First Class will probably be a little slower since it is less expensive. Priority International Mail is normally supposed to normally take between 6 and 10 business days. But I had the misfortune of returning an item to Hong Kong via Priority International Mail that took 45 days. :shock: The package somehow took a vacation in Mexico. :roll:

Rich

Blcak

Post by Blcak »

45 days? I'm still waiting for a shipping from Hong Kong that was sent on 18th of April :)

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

I'd say 3-6 weeks to Europe, could be more if you live in a country where "things work more slowly" :-)

Please also realize that things get lost in the mail -- I had a Mitutoyo lost in the mail last year with the Express service, it never left the US. Not trying to scare anyone, just remember that things happen.

Although I'm just watching from the sidelines on this one, I want to thank Rich for the effort for the community, it's definitely not zero effort to pull this one through.

bobfriedman

Post by bobfriedman »

tangential question:

does anyone know what the value of the number aperture (NA) for this lens?

"i already own it, but could not find any reference on the jml web site"

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

By Rik's measurements, the NA is about 0.30, as discussed here.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

OK, I'm the guy who volunteered to receive the 5 or so lenses for distribution in the UK.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to ask the prospective recipients, unless known to me, to settle with me by a means other than Paypal.

This follows a private sale to a member who Wanted To Buy a Nikon CF M Plan 40xELWD. After I took and sent photos of one, and with it, the Paypal payment was made, and the same lens, s/n 325084 was delivered and signed for.

Several Days Later, the recipient has decided it wasn't a Nikon he saw in that lens container when he opened the box, it was a Meiji. (I've never owned or even seen a Meiji.) The buyer has had the payment withdrawn from my account by Paypal.

I'm hoping the buyer discovers his "mistake", but I don't want to go through this nonsense again. I'll be contacting the UK recipients individually.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

ChrisR wrote:OK, I'm the guy who volunteered to receive the 5 or so lenses for distribution in the UK.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to ask the prospective recipients, unless known to me, to settle with me by a means other than Paypal.

This follows a private sale to a member who Wanted To Buy a Nikon CF M Plan 40xELWD. After I took and sent photos of one, and with it, the Paypal payment was made, and the same lens, s/n 325084 was delivered and signed for.

Several Days Later, the recipient has decided it wasn't a Nikon he saw in that lens container when he opened the box, it was a Meiji. (I've never owned or even seen a Meiji.) The buyer has had the payment withdrawn from my account by Paypal.

I'm hoping the buyer discovers his "mistake", but I don't want to go through this nonsense again. I'll be contacting the UK recipients individually.
Chris,

There will be a total of 6 lenses sent to you since I am including mine which was still packaged to be sent off to Des. I will send you info in a PM explaining about all of the lenses, etc.

Rich

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

As I mentioned in my previous comments I am sending my lens off to Des in the UK.

Additionally, I have now placed still an additional order for 2 more lenses one for myself and one for Pierre since he has also requested one.

I have been packing all of the lenses at this point and I expect to seal the packages tomorrow. I will weigh the boxes on my Postal scale tomorrow as well so that I will be able to enter the weights to calculate all of the shipping costs. I expect to send everyone PMs tomorrow with the cost of your packages without any insurance for the shipping except for the package going to Ken in South Africa which I will also send as Registered as he has requested. All of the other packages will be sent First Class International Mail without insurance unless anyone requests a different means of shipping and if they want insurance.

I expect to ship Pierre's lens next week after the 2 additional lenses arrive and I have returned from my Art Show which is scheduled this coming weekend.

For each of you that I send a PM I will include my Paypal Account. Please make payment as quickly as you can and if you have as yet not supplied me with your shipping information, please provide that as well. As I have previously mentioned, shipment will not be made until payment has been received.

Rich

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

ChrisR wrote:This follows a private sale to a member who Wanted To Buy a Nikon CF M Plan 40xELWD. After I took and sent photos of one, and with it, the Paypal payment was made, and the same lens, s/n 325084 was delivered and signed for.

As someone who has dealt with ChrisR on quite a number of privately-exchanged items, I trust him one-thousand percent. He would neither deceive nor make this kind of mistake. I can only hope that the purchaser has made an honest error and corrects it before long.

I've sent items to quite a few members of this community, and have generally suggested they not pay me until after I post the item to them, so that I know the actual shipping charges, and so the recipient has the convenience of a single PayPal transaction. Usually, I've bought the item with my money on the recipient's behalf, so sending it prior to payment has involved a bit of risk. Some thoughtful folks have been kind enough to pay me my out-of-pocket cost for the item prior to my posting it, but while I appreciate this, I've never requested it (they then reimburse my shipping after I've posted it). While this approach puts me at the mercy of the recipient, I've never been cheated. On the contrary, everyone in this community has so far gone out of his or her way to be prompt, fair, and gracious. This does my heart good--we have here a wonderful, and perhaps singular, Internet community. We help one another. We let our guards down. We don't have to watch our backs.

ChrisR's experience with this buyer--who is apparently a rogue or the victim of an honest error--seems like an outlier. I hope this purchaser does his utmost not to mar the spirit of this community.

(None of this to be taken as critical of Rich's request for payment prior to sending--the magnitude of this bulk purchase would put it in the "painful" category for most of us, and it was very kind of Rich to take this risk on behalf of the PMN community; I hope that folks will hurry to reimburse him. And while Rich would never suggest this, it wouldn't be amiss for the people he helped to add a few dollars to their reimbursements--think of it as buying Rich a pint of beer or a cup of coffee. After all, he's saved you big money on shipping, and he even submitted a lower-than-BIN-offer to lower your cost of the lenses. Looking at what Rich has done, it seems like a frightening amount of work and out-of-pocket expense. If enough lens recipients were to add $5 or $10 to their reimbursements, maybe it would add up to enough money for Rich to take his wife out to dinner--a small thanks for the work he's done. And you'd still be spending very little for this lens.)

Cheers,

--Chris

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Chris S. wrote:Looking at what Rich has done, it seems like a frightening amount of work and out-of-pocket expense. If enough lens recipients were to add $5 or $10 to their reimbursements, maybe it would add up to enough money for Rich to take his wife out to dinner--a small thanks for the work he's done. And you'd still be spending very little for this lens.
I share that sentiment.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic