Ringing-Fencing The Wayward E-P2 Main Dial Array

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Ringing-Fencing The Wayward E-P2 Main Dial Array

Post by Harold Gough »

I have now had my E-P2 for just over a year. I have had constant problems with the Main Dial, Arrowpad and Button controls, in that my thumb rests across them during normal, hand-held, use of the camera and unavoidably operates the various components, often unknown to me until minutes later. The controls are bottom right:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Olymp ... -side2.jpg

I have now (so far) cured this. I searched through a pack of mixed neoprene O-rings and washers, purchased for domestic plumbing repairs. I found the perfect O-ring for this application. It is 20mm diameter and about 1mm thick. I simply super-glued this to form an outer ring around the Main Dial. My thumb can no longer press any of the controls when flat across, as in shooting position, but the central button is readily accessible to my thumb and the others to thumb tip and finger tips.

I got my wife to photograph the modified camera with her point-and-shoot camera. I have done what I can with the image but it shows the ring. (Some spots of white are from the superglue and indivcate the inner and outer limits of the O-ring).

I'm sure this can work for other camera models.

One concern remains: How will I ever afford my next camera, now that the rapid accumulation of cash in the 'swear box' has come to a halt! :(

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

DQE

Post by DQE »

Looks like a nice solution! I'm sure glad you were able to engineer and construct a suitable fix, all without damaging the appearance or functionality of your camera.

Clearly, the vendor owes you a lot of money for this idea!! (grins)
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DQE wrote:Looks like a nice solution! I'm sure glad you were able to engineer and construct a suitable fix, all without damaging the appearance or functionality of your camera.

Clearly, the vendor owes you a lot of money for this idea!! (grins)
I am considering offering this as a service at, say, £50 a fix. :wink:

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic