the jungle of ballhead

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jib

the jungle of ballhead

Post by jib »

Hi everybody,
It's my first post on this forum that i read for a while now. im french so my english isn't as good as i'd like.
I'm entomologist and i decided to pass beyond the 1:1 that my 105 AFD micro nikkor allows.
I 've got few equipment, and 'i'm satisfied with my bellow and the NIKKOR EL 50 f:4 or the canon RMS mount 35 2.8. My rig is OK for indoor use, either on a stand or on modified mini wooden tripod. But i've got a problem with the ballhead for field use. I've got a first price manfrotto ballhead but it's too weak beyond 1:1, and i'can't shoot what i plan to frame. i'm looking for a good ballhead and i'm lost in this jungle since i can't find a shop to test them. i'm interested for 2 models: the gitzo offcenter like the GH 2750 (or 3750) , the manfrotto hydrostatic series like the 468mgr . I prefer ballhead to 3d head, but the geared manfrotto 405 or 410 seems to be the choice of some here. i shoot moderate ratio, around 5:1 at maximum now.
So does anyone can give me advice to choose the right ballhead ? i'd like to choose the frame in field, not dealing with hypothesis on what i'll may shoot. And i 'd also like to use this ballhead for general purpose, even with an heavy 300 2.8 to avoid changing between my DIY gimbal head and the one i'll buy for macro.

Thank you.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I have a Manfrotto 488RCO, which is quite a popular model. You have to be careful when loosening the ball locking knob, as the camera can tilt suddenly as it unlocks. My Manfrotto 268 is twice the size and weight but is much more controlable when adjusting the tightness of the grip on the ball. The 268 can take a much heavier camera e.g. medium format.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

dickb

Post by dickb »

There is a reason why the Manfrotto geared heads are popular, they offer stability and precise adjustment at the cost of ease of use for quick adjustments. For ballheads that can confidently take a 300/2.8 you need to look at a rather heavy duty head. I like my Burzynski, apart from its weight. When choosing a tripod head, also consider quick release systems. I've tried several and I like the arca swiss system best.

jib

Post by jib »

Hi,
I thank both of you for advice. I'm aware about the risk of camera tilt and today i use a simple monopod head for my 300 2.8.. Your manfrotto 268 seems to be a huge ballhead, but i've never heard about it.

My principal interest is first to get something that allows easy movement of the camera (like off center ballhead),
and then to get a something that doesn't move as soon as i tighten the ball locking knob..

The geared manfrotto should be great but i fear i won't like the lack of quick movement , i need to try it.

I read that the coating of the ball of the manfrotto hydrostatic 468 doesn't last for years, resulting in a weaker adjustment of the head.

And no one here use the gitzo offcenter ballhead for macro (stacked or not) field shoot?

Will Milne

Post by Will Milne »

I have been using the Really Right Stuff RH-55 for a number of years for field/bellows macro and long lens work ( 300 mm f2.8 + tc1.7 convertor) and have been very happy.

The RRS head has a variable tension control so when you loosen the main tightening control the head doesn't go instantly floppy . The other part I really like is that when you use the main "hold in place" control it does not require excessive tightening to operate - simply snug it up and feel confident that the rig is locked in place.

hope that helps

Will

didin22

Post by didin22 »

Bonsoir,
J'utilise une rotule Gitzo 1576M à boule excentrée pour mes macro de terrain et le stack sur le terrain ou en intérieur.

Je suis plus que content de cette rotule. la boule excentrée est un énorme avantage en macro et la rigidité de cette rotule est vraiment au dessus de tout soupçon. Il faut dire aussi que j'ai choisi un modèle sur-dimensionné qui pèse 1,25kg.

Les seuls défauts que je lui trouve sont :
- qu'elle n'est pas compatible avec le système Arca
- sa hauteur de 15cm

Sorry for those that can not read french, my english is so bad and it is far easier for me to reply in french to a french guy. To summarize I just told Jib that I was more than happy with my Gitzo offcenter ballhead!

My setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didin21/60 ... 2831643498

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

didin22 wrote:Sorry for those that can not read french, my english is so bad and it is far easier for me to reply in french to a french guy.
Plenty of Americans would not write as well in English as you just did.

The lack of Arca-Swiss compatibility would be a big deal for many of us. I'd have a hard time recommending any high-end support equipment that was not compatible with the A-S standard.

Cheers,

--Chris

didin22

Post by didin22 »

Thank you Chris,

I know that a Gitzo Adapter for Arca exists but I don't know if it is a quality item.
http://www.adorama.com/GZGS5160CDT.html

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Plenty of Americans would not write as well in English as you just did.

Plenty of English, too!

jib

Post by jib »

Hello,
thank you dindin for the answer... picture shows the size of the ball head with some stacking equipment (i also have the OM bellows). i wait a few days and i will choose. I definitely let the 468 , and i still hesitate withe the gitzo and the manfrotto geared head. itzo are at a good price on "miss numérique"only 200€ for the GH 2750 (that support up to 5 KG).

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

Personally I use an Arca-Swiss Z1. Even got a friend to buy it and he also loves it, even with bigger lenses. I heard that Markins and RRS are good too, haven't tried them. None of the Manfrotto ballheads I tried were of similar quality, but I have not tried the hydrostatic ones. Still, their price approaches the "premium" ballheads and they still lack the Arca-Swiss coupling, so I don't know if they are particularly attractive.

I would caution though that with a 300/2.8, you may want to use a gimbal-type head on top of the ballhead or directly on the tripod, just because it's easier to position and manipulate when tracking a subject. I do very little long lens photography, so I'm good with using only the Arca Z1.

Gitzo heads do not seem to be so popular outside France. Some people use them, but the other types seem more popular. I have not tried one, but their quick release system isn't as good as the Arca-style.

pludder

Post by pludder »

I have a markins m20, very nice too, only downside is a slight play when loosening the pan lock, the ball action is extremely nice. My brothers arca z1 has no play in the pan base, ball almost as nice (to me), i would buy the arca if done again, (z1 did not exist when i got my markins). I use my m20 with a 300 2.8 with and without a sidekick, both work well.

Cheers /Per

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic