Newport 462, I need to identify some screws size

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

Newport 462, I need to identify some screws size

Post by seta666 »

Hello,
I need to know the size of the screws/bolts needed for the holes on the angle bracket of the newport 462 (the holes are like the one in the red circle)
Jotafoto has one bolt and the threaded part measures 2.8mm (more or less) the allen key needed is 3/32

We need them to hold a motor for the stackshot

If any member can give me the right size and a ebay link to get them would be very nice. I need them 1/2" long

Regards
Javier

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

looks like 4-40
Just shoot it......

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

Just shoot it......

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Thank you Sonynut, but I need to be sure before buying them. It is almost imposibkle to find screw other than Metric around here
Regards

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Javier,

I would be happy to ship you the screws, if you determine their size. UTS screws are very easy for me to buy here (metric screws are the challenge). :cry:

Regards,
David

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

Just shoot it......

seta666

Post by seta666 »

dmillard wrote:Hello Javier,

I would be happy to ship you the screws, if you determine their size. UTS screws are very easy for me to buy here (metric screws are the challenge). :cry:

Regards,
David
Thank you Dave,
Sometimes is easy to find them on ebay but the difficult part is to find out what kind of screw is
Same thing, any metric stuff you may need just ask ;-)
I have contacted Newport to see if they can help me but last time I contacted them I got no answer (I am not big business) ;-)
Regards
Javier

elf

Post by elf »

How many screws are needed? What is the length? Do you need flat head or button head? Many questions :)

You can get all of the specs here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=ecnjxk

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

There are two models, the metric 462-XYZ-M ULTRAlign™ and the imperial 462-XYZ ULTRAlign™. Be sure which you have.

More details in their catalogue.

They do have a drawing with dimensions, but the size of the particular holes on the triangular brace is not mentioned.

elf

Post by elf »

3mm machine screws are 2.86mm in diameter, they may fit. Another option would be to drill and tap the holes for 4mm metric screw. A 3.3mm drill would be appropriate for this.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

ChrisLilley wrote: They do have a drawing with dimensions, but the size of the particular holes on the triangular brace is not mentioned.
Thank you Chris, I know their catallog but also saw that there are no specs for those holes. In their picture these holes hold a plate. I was hopping some member with same hardware could help
elf wrote:3mm machine screws are 2.86mm in diameter, they may fit. Another option would be to drill and tap the holes for 4mm metric screw. A 3.3mm drill would be appropriate for this.
Thanks for offering to send the screws too ;-) I would rather not have to macine the unit, is made of steel
Metric screws would fit in size but thread is diferent, so would not go any deep

If at the end we do not find the right specs we could send one of the screws we allready have to one of the willing members
We do not mnd what kind of screw (bolt head, flat head) as long as they fit
Regards
Javier

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Javier,

I have a similar unit that I can take into a hardware store to directly determine the thread size, but I won't be able to get to it until this weekend.

Regards,
David

seta666

Post by seta666 »

dmillard wrote:Hello Javier,

I have a similar unit that I can take into a hardware store to directly determine the thread size, but I won't be able to get to it until this weekend.

Regards,
David
Thank you, that would be very nice as we are not in a hurry. Meanwhile I will wait for an answer from Newport
Regards
Javier

seta666

Post by seta666 »

SONYNUT wrote:looks like 4-40
You were right, it is 4-40 indeed. Dmillard has sent me a few screws
Thank you
Regards
Javier

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic