Silver componon 80mm F/5.6

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yeatzee

Silver componon 80mm F/5.6

Post by yeatzee »

I just got one of these and want to know what filter ring size so i can reverse it. Anyone know?

Is it 30.5 like the others in the same body style?
Last edited by yeatzee on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Did you won the bid on the item you linked? If not, it's worth looking for the newer Componon-S types, better lenscoating etc.
Mind you, there are builds/types with and without a filter thread. I have two of these now which I can't properly mount and have to rely on ducttape.

The one you showed is a bit vintage (but not bad if in good shape).
If you look at this one (last photo) it show two thread at the front. Confusing to say the least.

Anyway, I hope this is of any help to you:
Source: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vi ... /index.htm

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

For $10 its just to try out, and it will be no sweat off my brow if it turns out to be a cool wall-hanger/conversation peice :) I have a fetish for silver lenses anyhow, and all those aperture blades! ;)

John and many others love the 28 and 35 componon's from the same era and same body style yet they are not "S" variants so I think it will have potential. Plus every componon s 80mm's i've seen goes for $70+ aka 7x the price of that one ;)

so 30.5 it is :)

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

Slight update...

It arrived yesterday and HOLY CRAP its small. I was not expecting it to be like half the size of the already tiny el nikkor 50mm......dang very impressive! Especially with all of those aperture blades.

Adapters wont arrive for another week so no tests until than :)

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

I have an older schneider 80. Performs very well and a lot smaller than you would think.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

Quick size comparison for you guys :)

size comparison by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

size comparison by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

takumar 55mm vs. el nikkor 50mm (what I use 99% of the time for macro's, reversed) vs. my new componon 80mm I got for $10

abpho

Post by abpho »

You are getting pretty lucky with your lens purchases. Another great deal. When are you posting a sample shot? Got to find a dead thing first?

:D

canonian

Post by canonian »

I see a filterthread on the componon so reverse mounting is possible, if you find the right adapters. (but there's always duct tape :wink: )
Lots of blades.
You're very lucky in finding cheap and good lenses.
Hope to see some results soon of the componon.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

just got home from college, and lo and behold my 30.5-49mm adapter arrived :) I doubt I'll be able to test it tonight or tomorrow but I'll keep you guys posted :)

canonian

Post by canonian »

Hope it all fits together, Tanner, being so HOLY CRAP small.
Sure it's 30.5? Guess you've checked and re-checked.
Seeing your previous results I'm positive you get good pictures from it.

Brodie Foster

Post by Brodie Foster »

Last edited by Brodie Foster on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

canonian wrote:Hope it all fits together, Tanner, being so HOLY CRAP small.
Sure it's 30.5? Guess you've checked and re-checked.
Seeing your previous results I'm positive you get good pictures from it.
Ha yes, its shockingly small. Yup just mounted everything and its 30.5 :)
I hope so! I bought it for field/natural light morning stacks primarily so it could take a while to get anything good.

Brodie Foster wrote:I'm sure it is 30.5mm, my old versions of 28/4, 35/4, 60/5.6 and 80/5.6 all are. I haven't even tested my 80mm f5.6 because I have the El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6 N but prepare for some serious working distance!
I was planning on getting the el-nikkor, but before I was truly interested I watched a couple auctions to gauge prices. They all went for ~$30, so I decided the next one I'll buy. Since than every day I look (for a couple months now) they all are listed above $60-70! When I saw the componon I figured for $10 why not.

So I set everything up real quick last night just to get an idea, and here's what I've noticed:

1. CRAZY working distance like you said. Im not used to having so much room between the subject and lens..... its actually making everything very difficult lighting wise for me..... oh well I'll come up with another DIY solution eventually :wink:

2. Flare is a big issue, just like with the el nikkor. How in the world do I make a hood for something so small though? I haven't wrapped my head around that answer with household items..... any ideas? :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

yeatzee wrote:How in the world do I make a hood for something so small though? I haven't wrapped my head around that answer with household items..... any ideas? :)
Black paper cone? As in http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=424, first panel, bottom left. Doesn't need to be nearly that long, though.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Even a black paper tube would probably do, but as most enlatger lenses are 39mm thread, it's well worth watching ebay for some 39mm extension tubes. They're usually very cheap.

Oops - edit - I take it back, yours is a 25mm thread! Mine's 39mm!

Old black plastic film canister? Lined, maybe.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

My best guess would be something like 29mm for the threads on the other side, which is VERY tiny. Its obviously not 39mm like my nikkor being that the filter thread is 30.5 and it tapers down :)

Ill give the cone idea a try when I get home from football.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic