Arca clamp for StackShot mount?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

luna

Arca clamp for StackShot mount?

Post by luna »

I'm about to buy a StackShot (+extended rail +shutter cable) and saw in a few threads that I should pick up the Arca mount. I don't actually have an Arca clamp, so I thought I'd ask for a clamp and plate recommendation before I just started clicking "buy."

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

OR JUST SCREW IT ON...........
Just shoot it......

luna

Post by luna »

True. I guess I was just thinking it would be a good time to pick one up. I don't really use a tripod very often, so maybe you're right.

ChrisLilley

Re: Arca clamp for StackShot mount?

Post by ChrisLilley »

luna wrote:I'm about to buy a StackShot (+extended rail +shutter cable) and saw in a few threads that I should pick up the Arca mount. I don't actually have an Arca clamp, so I thought I'd ask for a clamp and plate recommendation before I just started clicking "buy."
For a plate, it depends what camera you have (or lens, if you have a long lens with a tripod collar).

Edit: I see from another post that you use Canon 5Dii so perhaps this would suit.

For a clamp, I would recommend the ones from Chris Hejnar, who sells direct on ebay. These are very well made and excellent value for money (compared to popular makes like RRS and Kirk). For example this one.

The advantage of an arca clamp on the stackshot is that the camera will not twist, so the field of view does not shift during the stack. Its also faster and more convenient.
Last edited by ChrisLilley on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

luna,

If you are intending to buy the StackShot, I would recommend you also buy the optional Cognisys Arca Clamp Mount. :smt045

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Chris,

Thanks for the link to the ProMedia Gear plates. I was looking for a plate with such features for a 7D , the anti-rotation pin and 1/4-20 mounting threads for the attachment of a third party camera strap and/or other accessories :)

ProMedia Gear 7D AS Plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0671893567

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic