APO RODAGON-D 75mm f4.5 2X opinions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

APO RODAGON-D 75mm f4.5 2X opinions

Post by seta666 »

Hello,
I have just bought this lens and I intend to use it in the field and at home from 1X to 3X

I have found little information about the lens so anything you can say would be apreciatted.
The lens should be used reversed or normal position?, it is not an enlarger lens but a duplicating lens optimized for macro (that is what it says)
Regards

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

You can find a data sheet there http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/main ... rodagon-d/

Whether reversed or not depends which magnification you are targeting.

I have not tried the lens since the Apo Rodagon D 75/4 is too similar and actually works very well outside it's specified magnification, but you should get good mileage out of the lens, Apo Rodagons are quality products.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Thank you Oskar,
I already knew that data sheet but the Mtf's and graphs apply for the 75mm f4 only
According to that data this lens optimum range is 1.2-2.5X (is that normal way or reversed), but that is for medium format, I guess that for 35mm that range should widen a bit

What I did not know is that it is not a enlarger lens but a duplicating/macro lens (what is the difference?)

Anyway, I will see when I try it

ChrisLilley

Re: APO RODAGON-D 75mm f4.5 2X opinions

Post by ChrisLilley »

seta666 wrote:Hello,
I have just bought this lens and I intend to use it in the field and at home from 1X to 3X

I have found little information about the lens so anything you can say would be apreciatted.
The lens should be used reversed or normal position?, it is not an enlarger lens but a duplicating lens optimized for macro (that is what it says)
Regards
For 2:1 it should be used reversed and for 0.5:1 in the normal position. Its computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x. For the 0.8 to 1.2x range there is the apo rodagon-d 75mm f/4.

The image circle is huge, 40mm radius, so it can be used with tilt or shift movements if desired. Optimum nominal aperture is f/5.6

Contrast, colour clarity and eveness across the frame is very good.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisLilley wrote:For 2:1 it should be used reversed and for 0.5:1 in the normal position. Its computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x.
Except for the easy case of 1:1, I'm never sure what M:N means. Does 2:1 mean 2X or 0.5X?

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

ChrisLilley wrote: For 2:1 it should be used reversed and for 0.5:1 in the normal position. Its computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x. For the 0.8 to 1.2x range there is the apo rodagon-d 75mm f/4.

The image circle is huge, 40mm radius, so it can be used with tilt or shift movements if desired. Optimum nominal aperture is f/5.6

Contrast, colour clarity and eveness across the frame is very good.
I plan to use it from 1:1 upwards, so maybe reversed should be best option
What is the difference between a normal enlarger lens and this D series Rodagons?
rjlittlefield wrote: Except for the easy case of 1:1, I'm never sure what M:N means. Does 2:1 mean 2X or 0.5X?

--Rik
As far as I now 1:2 is 0,5X 1:4 is 0,25X 2:1 is 2X

Regards

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

seta666 wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote: For 2:1 it should be used reversed and for 0.5:1 in the normal position. Its computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x. For the 0.8 to 1.2x range there is the apo rodagon-d 75mm f/4.
I plan to use it from 1:1 upwards, so maybe reversed should be best option
rjlittlefield wrote: Except for the easy case of 1:1, I'm never sure what M:N means. Does 2:1 mean 2X or 0.5X?

--Rik
As far as I now 1:2 is 0,5X 1:4 is 0,25X 2:1 is 2X
That's what I thought too. But then I'm confused. If the lens is "a duplicating lens optimized for macro" and is "computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x", then why should it be reversed "For 2:1" ?

Or is this thing in fact an enlarging lens, so that "computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x" means when used for enlarging, with the short conjugate on the same side of the lens as the mounting threads?

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

rjlittlefield wrote: That's what I thought too. But then I'm confused. If the lens is "a duplicating lens optimized for macro" and is "computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x", then why should it be reversed "For 2:1" ?

Or is this thing in fact an enlarging lens, so that "computed for a magnification of 1.2 to 2.5x" means when used for enlarging, with the short conjugate on the same side of the lens as the mounting threads?

--Rik
First I thought it was a enlarging lens but than I read it is a duplicating/macro lens They look similar but are not the same, I read in some other forum that it does not perform well as a enlarger lens
This is extracted from Rodagon Datasheet:
Apo-Rodagon-D
Apo-Rodagon-D lenses are designed for the highest possible imaging quality for close-ups at just those scales around 1:1 where even the best enlarging lenses for larger scales begin to show their weak spots.
Thus their typical applications are transparency duplication, the preparation of internegatives and – together with the Modular-Focus helical mount and the matching camera adapters– macro photography. Furthermore, as well as for photography, they can also be used as high resolving optical systems for premium scanners.
The 6 elements, apochromatically corrected lenses feature high contrast and sharpness right up to the picture corners with virtually no color fringes. Distortion is corrected almost to zero and cannot be seen even in critical subjects with straightline structures parallel with the edges of the frame.
The optimum working aperture is between f/5.6 and f/8. This is worth mentioning because the effective aperture of a lens focused for a scale of about 1:1 is approximately two f-stops smaller than the nominal aperture and therefore stopping down to smaller apertures than nominal f/8 would result in visible blur because of diffraction. All three models are fitted with click-stop aperture rings which can be disabled and with
pre-setting rings.

Apo Rodagon-D 1x -- Recommended scale range -- Maximumfilm format
75 mm f/4 ----------------0.8× - 1.2×--------------------------6×6 cm
Apo-Rodagon-D 2x
75 mm f/4.5------------- 1.2× - 2.5× --------------------------6×7 cm
Apo-Rodagon-D
120 mm f/5.6 ------------0.5× - 3× ----------------------------4×5 inch
The given scale ranges refer to projection; when the lenses are
used as taking lenses the respective reciprocal values apply.

Apo-Rodagon-D: duplication and macro photography
with practically no loss in definition and brilliance

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

seta666 wrote: The given scale ranges refer to projection; when the lenses are
The terminology used by Rodenstok is confusing but after reading it many times I too did conclude it is to be reversed for magnifications higher than 1:1.

I have this lens and I am very satisfed with its results (excellent resolution, chromatic rendition and absence of CA, reversed for magnifications between 2X -3X, but never did perform true tests nor did search its limits.

I also own the 1:1 f4 version and subjetively I think it's even better.
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

seta666 wrote:The given scale ranges refer to projection; when the lenses are
This seems like the key to solving the confusion. The lens is optimized for 1.2 x- 2.5x when projecting, so reverse the lens for use at 2:1 = 2x in taking.

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Ok, I will do some tests when I get it but....... what is the diference between this lens a a normal enlarging lens?
I still do not get it :-k

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

seta666 wrote:Ok, I will do some tests when I get it but....... what is the diference between this lens a a normal enlarging lens?
I still do not get it :-k
The magnification range what it's optimised for: Enlarging lenses are designed to project a negative over a photographic paper much larger than the negative itself while these duplication lenses do the same but with much lower magnification/reduction. The 1:1 version is a totally simetric desing.
The barrel construction is almost identical to an enlarger lens.
(in fact, I bougt the 1:1 f4 without diaphragm and was able to switch the barrel with an inexpensive Rogonar-S enlarger lens)
Pau

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

2x.

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

The optical design is also basically the same as with high quality enlarger lenses, the only difference really being the magnification range. Typical enlarger lenses are intended for 2x to 20x projection, with the sweet spot being somewhere between 4x to 10x depending on lens (typically so that smaller formats require more magnification while larger require less).

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Oskar O wrote:The optical design is also basically the same as with high quality enlarger lenses, the only difference really being the magnification range. Typical enlarger lenses are intended for 2x to 20x projection, with the sweet spot being somewhere between 4x to 10x depending on lens (typically so that smaller formats require more magnification while larger require less).
So, for macro Photography with full frame camera and 1X-4X range which kind should work best?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic