Printing-Nikkor Adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

ray_parkhurst wrote: Well, I tested an 85mm Repro-Nikkor and found it a very odd lens. It's NOT a camera lens!
You are indeed well connected to get your hands on all those lenses! I haven't even been able to buy a printing Nikkor yet...
ray_parkhurst wrote: It's a beautiful lens but the narrow magnification range, large diameter, and short working distance make it extremely impractical. It also has large and odd mounting threads.
Yes, it's a pretty specialized lens and couldn't be recommended for general usage. I think your printing Nikkor is probably the best lens to use.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Oskar O wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote: It's a beautiful lens but the narrow magnification range, large diameter, and short working distance make it extremely impractical. It also has large and odd mounting threads.
Yes, it's a pretty specialized lens and couldn't be recommended for general usage. I think your printing Nikkor is probably the best lens to use.
Anyone have experience with the Nikkor-AM 120mm Large Format lens? The AM is "APO Macro", sounds intriguing. How hard are these LF lenses to adapt to SLR type mounts?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Several weeks ago, ray_parkhurst wrote:
I'm always on the lookout for a nice stepper system for higher mags as well. Although a lot of my work is at ~1:1 (whole coin shots - Lincoln Cents need 1:1.25 on DX sensor) I also do work at ~5:1 for variety documentation and attribution. At present I am "stepping" manually with a microscope stage, and would love to have an automated method, but this setup may not be the right one.
I can't find a reply to this interest, so just to be sure the base is covered...

Check out the StackShot rail by Cognisys. It's an automated rail with about 4 inches of travel and enough resolution even for use with microscope objectives (see 40X with a StackShot rail).

--Rik

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

ray_parkhurst wrote: Anyone have experience with the Nikkor-AM 120mm Large Format lens? The AM is "APO Macro", sounds intriguing. How hard are these LF lenses to adapt to SLR type mounts?
Funny that you ask, I have one. It's an excellent lens, optimum performance at 1:1, but handles a pretty wide range of magnifications well. It does, however, cover just about 4x5" at infinity with no movements and at 1:1 leaves plenty of room for movements; this naturally means that the resolution per mm isn't as good as with lenses optimized for smaller formats. Thus, I tend to use it on my Nikon when I need the focal length or on my Hasselblad, opting for the Apo-Rodagon D 75/4 when I do 1:1 (but I haven't done a controlled test between these, I'm waiting to get an adapter for my Schneider Makro-Symmar first). the overall look of the image is quite nice, which tempts me to use it for 3D subjects.

Adapting isn't that hard, Schneider sells a Copal #0 to M39 thread adapter, from which it's easy to adapt further (the rear element is too large to fit in a 39 mm tube).

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Oskar O wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote: Anyone have experience with the Nikkor-AM 120mm Large Format lens? The AM is "APO Macro", sounds intriguing. How hard are these LF lenses to adapt to SLR type mounts?
Adapting isn't that hard, Schneider sells a Copal #0 to M39 thread adapter, from which it's easy to adapt further (the rear element is too large to fit in a 39 mm tube).
I have a Rodenstock Eurygon 35mm that has a ~39.5mm thread. Is this for Copal #0 mount? If so I'll need to look into that adapter...

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

ray_parkhurst wrote: I have a Rodenstock Eurygon 35mm that has a ~39.5mm thread. Is this for Copal #0 mount? If so I'll need to look into that adapter...
No, Copal #0 is M32.5x0.5, Copal #1 is M39x0.75, see here http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

rjlittlefield wrote:Check out the StackShot rail by Cognisys. It's an automated rail with about 4 inches of travel and enough resolution even for use with microscope objectives (see 40X with a StackShot rail).

--Rik
Wow, I have seen some of the discussion about StackShot but hadn't looked further. Looks perfect, thanks for posting...Ray

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Oskar O wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote: I have a Rodenstock Eurygon 35mm that has a ~39.5mm thread. Is this for Copal #0 mount? If so I'll need to look into that adapter...
No, Copal #0 is M32.5x0.5, Copal #1 is M39x0.75, see here http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm
I remeasured the Eurygon and it is 40.0mm, corresponding to the front thread of a #1 shutter. Anyone know of a source for 40mm Copal #1 to M39, M42, Nikon F, etc adapter?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I received a nice copy of an APO-Rodagon D 75/4 1:1 Macro lens in the mail recently and have taken some more comparison pictures. I had to adjust the lighting a bit given the shorter focal length and re-took photo of my scarface 57D Lincoln Toner with the Printing Nikkor in same lighting setup for comparison. Also took same photo with another acquisition, a second copy of the Vivitar 90/2.5 Series 1 macro (without adapter). My other copy of the 90VS1 did not show good contrast. Great resolution, but poor contrast.

Well, what I can say is that the second copy of the 90VS1 shows just as poor contrast as my first copy. A very usable lens with great resolution though!

And boy what a gem the 75ARD 1:1 is! It has great contrast and color rendition. I did not white balance it vs the 95PN so they are not directly comparable for color but it looks gorgeous. Resolution is just barely noticeably lower in center and edges compared with the 95PN. Overall I love this lens, especially given its price tag compared with the exotic Nikons. I think it holds its own against both my APO-EL-Nikkors for both color and resolution. I've added links to the 3 new photos for comments.

Here are (all) the links:

75mm f/4.0 APO-Rodagon D M=1:1:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... /75ARD.jpg

95mm f/2.8 Printing-Nikkor with same lighting as 75ARD:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... /95PN3.jpg

90mm f/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 with same lighting as 75ARD:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... /90VS1.jpg
---------
95mm f/2.8 Nikon Printing-Nikkor:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... t=95PN.jpg

105mm f/5.6 Nikon APO-EL-Nikkor:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... 105APO.jpg

100mm f/4 Asahi-Pentax Bellows Takumar:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... =100AP.jpg

90mm f/4.5 Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Componon HM:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... t=90HM.jpg

105mm f/2.8 VR Nikon Micro-Nikkor:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... =105VR.jpg

105mm f/4 AIS Nikon Micro-Nikkor:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... 105AIS.jpg[/quote]

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

ray_parkhurst wrote: And boy what a gem the 75ARD 1:1 is! It has great contrast and color rendition. I did not white balance it vs the 95PN so they are not directly comparable for color but it looks gorgeous. Resolution is just barely noticeably lower in center and edges compared with the 95PN. Overall I love this lens, especially given its price tag compared with the exotic Nikons.
Shhh...don't tell those who can still make good money by selling rare lenses that compate with it :wink:

But glad you liked it. It's good performance is a reason why I've never bothered to buy a Zeiss 74; I didn't really expect any significant improvement in real life use. I like the ARD because it's small and I could easily replace it if needed.

About the 40 mm Eurygon...you sure it's 40 and not 40.5 or 39, both of which are common sizes? I've never heard of a 40.0 adapter, but maybe somewhere around there is one.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Oskar O wrote:About the 40 mm Eurygon...you sure it's 40 and not 40.5 or 39, both of which are common sizes? I've never heard of a 40.0 adapter, but maybe somewhere around there is one.
Yep, measures at 40.0mm. I read somewhere that it was part of the Polaroid MP3 macro system and mounted to the equivalent of a copal #1.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The Polaroid MP3 and more likely MP4 did have a 40mm thread.
I think Dr. Land did not want you using other peoples lenses on HIS macro system. They sold them with Eurygons and Ysarons (with Prontor shutters, MP3)and then switched to Tominons(with Copal shuttersMP4).

The shutters for them appear on ebay all the time for reasonable prices.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I was looking for an alternative to my modified Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter (which I removed the optics from for use as a focusing helicoid) and picked up a Rodenstock Modular Focusing adapter. Very nice unit! It came with a Nikon F mount and a 39mm lens adapter, plus an extra 25mm extension. I removed the adapter and was about to remove the extension when I got to looking closely at the extension threads.

COULD IT BE???

A quick measurement showed something around 44-45mm, so I pulled out the 95mm Printing Nikkor and

OH MY GOD

it threaded perfectly onto the 45mm x 0.75mm threads of the focusing unit extension! Now I not only have a way to mount the 95PN but a full-function unit with precision focusing capability!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Ray,

Isn't it 'sweet' when that happens :)

Image please 8)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Copal #1 has a M40-0.75 front cell thread.

This is also the thread used for Mitutoyo BD Plan Apo objectives.

It is also the thread used in in old Exakta extension tubes (on the tubes themselves. The male and female Exakta mount screw on each end). These are beautiful tubes, useful for many projects.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic