1mm WD

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

heyitsmedusty

Re: 1mm WD

Post by heyitsmedusty »

This is EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you!

I got the objective on a crazy deal because the barrel is badly burned, but the optics are flawless, making it the perfect candidate for this kind of surgery.

Macrero

Re: Re:

Post by Macrero »

heyitsmedusty wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:43 am
Reviving this years-old thread!

@macrero - I have the UMPLANFL 50x BD P, and I'm looking to get a better angle of light, and I'm inspired by your chop job. Was yours spring-loaded? Mine has a spring, and I'm wondering if that affects my ability to saw through the objective. I'm also considering using a very small rotating pipe cutter, but man that barrel looks thick!

Thank you!
Hello,

sorry for replying late, I've been very busy and away from forums and photography for quite a long time now.

No, mine was nor spring-loaded. But I'm sure if you follow Rick's guide, you'd have no problem with the mod.

Yep, barrel is indeed thick. I used a regular metal cutting blade I had at hand. It takes some time and patience.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Best,

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

enricosavazzi

Re: 1mm WD

Post by enricosavazzi »

Has anyone actually tried to use the Olympus LMPlanFL 50x BD 0.50 or UMPlanFL 50x BD 0.80 on an Olympus BD illuminator? Or any other Olympus objectives of the same two series on an Olympus BD illuminator? How did it work on a three-dimensional subject?

I have the LMPlanFL 50x BD 0.50 (the one with 10.6 mm WD, I am aware that NA 0.50 is not much), and before hacking off the outer sleeve I would like to hear if, in others' experience, it is really indispensable to do so. I have an idea of inserting a sleeve of rolled-up diffuser film around the end of the inner barrel (i.e. the part not chopped off in the modifications discussed in this thread) and partway into the illumination sleeve, where the outer surface of the diffuser should be illuminated by light coming from a BD illuminator. At least in principle, the effect should not be very different from chopping off the illuminating sleeve and using external LED sources on a rolled-up diffuser film attached around the objective barrel. I am of course wary of the saying that "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is".

I am still at least one or two weeks away from receiving all the necessary bits and pieces (especially a BD objective turret) so I would like to hear if others have tried.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic