Nikon Epiphot - Parts and Spares Wanted.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Alan Smith

Nikon Epiphot - Parts and Spares Wanted.

Post by Alan Smith »

Hello Everyone!

I run a small and inadequately funded materials research laboratory, and recently started a project which requires photography of metal oxide and hydroxide particles. Though decades ago I did a lot of microscopy (bacteriology and blood work) I'm a bit rusty to put it mildly, not to mention the fact that I'm pushing up to 80 now

Since darkfield/DIC microscopy is what most of my peers do - those lacking access to an SEM-- I have purchased one of Nikon's love children- Epiphot TMI (similar but a predecessor to the '300' inverted scope). from 'university-green' in the UK for a decent discount on the advertised price. It has a 3 slot nosepiece with DIC objectives, possibly has the 2 DIC wave-plates but no eyepieces and no covers on them or the TV camera port. So the optics are probably filthy but I can do all the necessary cleaning - I hope. It's missing some other parts, most needed being an alternative nose=piece for BD objectives. Does anybody know if the EPI nosepiece is compatible with those of other 'phot' series microscopes?

If anybody here knows much about the Epiphot I would be obliged for info while I get it up and running. It's due to be delivered in a flight-case (nice) on a pallet tomorrow. How exciting!

All the electrons and photons used for this post are recycled.

RogelioMoreno

Re: Nikon Epiphot - Parts and Spares Wanted.

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Hi Alan,

If you need instructions and schematic parts manuals of Epiphot 200 or 300 then let me know to send them.

Rogelio

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

RogelioMoreno wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:22 am
Hi Alan,
If you need instructions and schematic parts manuals of Epiphot 200 or 300 then let me know to send them.
Rogelio
Thank you - that's very kind of you. I found the instruction manual for the TME online and 'helped myself', but I would love the Epi 300 parts schematic or service manual if you have them. It arrived a few hours ago btw - and it does have the DIC plates on board and 3 DIC objectives. Not looking too bad actually, wonderfully well-packed and been in the university stores for a decade looking at the stickers on the box. You can find me at lubetkin1934, which is the first part of an email address which ends yahoo.co.uk. (I am wary of bots!) the usual @ in between the 2 halves of course.

So far hardware I am looking for is 2 CF 30mm eyepieces, 10x or 15x and a graticule to fit into the carrier in the light path. I also have a question. If I was to swap out the 50W halogen for a high-power LED, what kind should it be?

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272530888672

I think I will try this 'star' LED, with a 5 deg. lens warm white and 30W actual. The Epiphot onboard system should cope with that very easily. Also big thanks for the 200/300 service manuals.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Alan Smith wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 pm
[... I also have a question. If I was to swap out the 50W halogen for a high-power LED, what kind should it be?
If you have the original halogen illuminator IMO the best option is to put a single chip LED of the same size or a bit larger than the lamp filament and at its very same position (better if this position is adjustable)
I use Cree XM-L2 4000K LED at my illuminators and I find it very adequate, although light intensity regulation can be difficult depending of the electronics you use to drive it.
Pau

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

Thank you @Pau for the Cree model number. I can handle the electronics (usually) to make them dimmable, but as you suggest I will see how I fare with running it the original on-board system first. BTW, the Epi 300 has a tube length of 210 mm, but is also described as 'congugate infinity'. Does anybody know what that means?

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

lab kit 007.JPG
Here's the monster at an early stage of cleaning an reassembly. That's a Canon 50D on the front port, a favourite of mine since I know how to drive it - found a Nikon/Canon Adapter on Ebay. While looking for a couple more lenses for this I realised just how special the 3 BD Plan DIC lenses that came with it are - and how expensive.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Conjugate infinity probably refers to some infinity space inside the body, which iirc is sometimes done on inverted scopes given the long and weird light paths.
Bd plans are nice, fluoriteish lenses. The dic with them is nice too.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

Well, 'first light' through this yesterday using the original system. Not really bright enough I think - the on-board volt-meter is not working, but the halogen doesn't look like 50 watts to me, so either the voltage is too low or it's the wrong bulb. I think I'm going to have to dig deeper to clean the optics between lamp and objective too. Never mind, progress is being made. I have a high-power LED on the way which may also be required.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

epiphot prisms.jpg
Another missing piece - bought this for the Nomarski prisms. The objectives are Mplan DIC 5x,10x,20x & 40x /210, All in good shape , clean & clear The prisms are clean and in good working condition . £550 delivered from the USA via Ebay. I might well sell the objectives on, since I am already well over budget. 8-[ But then who isn't?

I suspect the 10X prism is the same as the 100x one since they are listed together by Nikon (as if they are) but with different part numbers.- but not sure - does anybody here know? A 100X BD-DIC is what I would like if I can get the lighting to like it too..

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Those prisms aren't removeable (at least not reversibly). But if you have DIC darkfield is not the most important addition IMO, and you can get a ring light if needed.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

As I have swapped out all the original -still working - Nikon 12V 50W electronics including the old-style transformer, wire loom and on/off dimmer switch and electronic shutter to replace them with a 24V 200W modern system they are looking for a good home - free to anyone who would like them and who is happy to pay the bare cost of shipping from the UK.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

As well as most of the original Epiphot onboard electronics (mentioned above) I also have a couple of 35mm film cameras id anybody would like one of both of them - free to a good home that will pay the bare postage from the UK. An Olympus SC35 type 12, and a Nikon FX35A. You can find me at lubetkin1934, which is the first part of an email address which ends yahoo.co.uk. (I am wary of bots!) the usual @ in between the 2 halves of course.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic