Attempting to copy Charles' Krebs Photomicrography setup: What is the rail used to raise the camera?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Microman2

Attempting to copy Charles' Krebs Photomicrography setup: What is the rail used to raise the camera?

Post by Microman2 »

Hello, I am researching on focusing rails to emulate Charles Kreb's photomicrographic setup in this link: https://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html. I have noticed that he used a macro focusing rail to hold the camera but that part is moved through a longer rail that is vertically mounted. What are these two parts called?

JKT

Re: Attempting to copy Charles' Krebs Photomicrography setup: What is the rail used to raise the camera?

Post by JKT »

The long rail seems to be Kaiser Copy Stand. I can't say the model outright even though I use one too.

lothman

Re: Attempting to copy Charles' Krebs Photomicrography setup: What is the rail used to raise the camera?

Post by lothman »

it looks like a bellows with macro slider, similar to the Novoflex model.
https://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files ... ellows.pdf

aphi

Post by aphi »

JKT wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am
The long rail seems to be Kaiser Copy Stand. I can't say the model outright even though I use one too.
The Kaiser copy stands use the same rail as their System V enlargers, the only difference is the scale printed on them. They do have columns with counterweights and gear/belt-drive as well, which still use the same aluminium extrusion. He doesn't use the normal Kaiser enlarger column feet but seems to just have it bolted to a bracket. The adapter from System V to camera looks odd, maybe it's an old model. The current RA-1 looks very different.

The System V stuff is nice and easily available, at least here, but it's not hyper-stiff or overly accurate. More than sufficient for reproduction work with low magnifications. Not well matched to life size or above.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The bellows is a Vivitar Bellows with the Vivitar Focus Rail.

JKT

Post by JKT »

aphi wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 am
The Kaiser copy stands use the same rail as their System V enlargers, the only difference is the scale printed on them. They do have columns with counterweights and gear/belt-drive as well, which still use the same aluminium extrusion. He doesn't use the normal Kaiser enlarger column feet but seems to just have it bolted to a bracket. The adapter from System V to camera looks odd, maybe it's an old model. The current RA-1 looks very different.
It could be from some other system and connected with a custom-made adapter. The interface design for the Kaiser is pretty simple.
The System V stuff is nice and easily available, at least here, but it's not hyper-stiff or overly accurate. More than sufficient for reproduction work with low magnifications. Not well matched to life size or above.
Agreed. That's why I have StackShot fixed to it. Kaiser handles the rough positioning and StackShot the stacks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic