Olympus UIS DIC

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Olympus UIS DIC

Post by Pau »

houstontx wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:19 pm
Well I think that must be why the U-DICT seems to be more desirable and typically more expensive than the U-DICTS, i thought it was due to the "sensitive colors" it can achieve but more likely you won't need another intermediate tube to accommodate the analyzer...
According with Olympus literature, contrast wise both prisms are equivalent. I personally would prefer more grey sensitive span than color contrast and likely I would appreciate the vertical prism movement. The only drawback for me would be the need of an external analyzer slot.
DIC colors are nice although resolution is lower. You can get them placing a rotatable 1/4 lambda plate over the substage polarizer.
I own a U-DICT, do you want to exchange it for your U-DICTS really? :lol:
Pau

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm
That shouldn't magnify the image.l in an knfinity system unless I am misreading. Where is the spacer added?
The spacer is added above the neck of the microscope and below the U-RLA giving it sufficient height to clear the microscope neck (The round lamphouse connector does not fit on a BX51 frame by itself it is too thick). The image "seemed" to be magnified compared to the image on the AX70...
PeteM wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:48 am
I was/am confused as well. But I already had a U-DP100 (and no space for another prism in the condenser). Tried it, and found it provided a reasonably even field to my not-overly-fussy eyes. If you happen to have one already (they're fairly common compared to the others) might give it a try?
Pete do you mean to say you tried that prism with a 60x objective and it worked?
Pau wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:50 am
According with Olympus literature, contrast wise both prisms are equivalent. I personally would prefer more grey sensitive span than color contrast and likely I would appreciate the vertical prism movement. The only drawback for me would be the need of an external analyzer slot.
DIC colors are nice although resolution is lower. You can get them placing a rotatable 1/4 lambda plate over the substage polarizer.
I own a U-DICT, do you want to exchange it for your U-DICTS really? :lol:
I supposed if I only wanted to do transmitted DIC the u-dict would be great, but since I am doing both and need the U-RLA anyway, i'll stick with the u-dicts...I'll buy your u-dict if you ever want to sell it though...

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Adding spacers in infinity space won't resize the image, but it will eventually reduce the image circle.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

houstontx wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:58 am

Pete do you mean to say you tried that prism with a 60x objective and it worked?
Yes. I wouldn't go out a buy a DP100 to pair with your 60x 1.25 na objective - but if you have one you may find the 3D effect, contrast, and fairly even background good enough.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

houstontx wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:42 am
One issue is the U-RLA needs a spacer to increase height when the lamphouse is attached, thus further magnifying the image. I think I will have to remove the lamphouse when not using reflected light to avoid having to use the spacer.
No, that spacer does not change the magnification. It may bring vignetting but I doubt it. You can cut bits of the frame off so the lamphouse fits or make a circular collimated adaptor, or install it at an angle. I designed an SM2 collimation adaptor for Olympus lamphouse ports a while ago, I might upload it to somewhere.
houstontx wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:42 am
Speaking of 60x... I have a UIS UplanFL 60x Oil Iris 1.25na. I think the correct prism to use is the U-DPO60S, however a I am also being told the U-DP60 is the correct prism. From the U-UCD8 manual it shows UPlanFl60x comes in a dry, an OI and OI3 verion, Would you happen to know which is correct?
I think U-DP60 does not exist.
Correct prism is the U-DPO60S

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Just to follow up and close this out yes that was the correct prism for the UPlanFl 60x oil. Excellent contrast effect.

Thanks for your help Macro!

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I hope you'll post some pictures of your results.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic