Need help with monstrus Zeiss microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

Re: Need help with monstrus Zeiss microscope

Post by enricosavazzi »

grgh wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:20 pm
All this talk of Zeiss delamination of objectives? You do not need to use Zeiss objectives?
Building a system with non-Zeiss optics on a Zeiss stand is theoretically possible, but not something I recommend. While you can use non-Zeiss objectives and matching non-Zeiss eyepieces on this stand without excessive trouble, the real problems come when you need to, for example:
- adapt non-Zeiss condensers to fit and work on this stand
- find non-Zeiss DIC prisms, phase annuli etc that work with the non-Zeiss objectives of your choice and fit at the proper reciprocal distances in the condenser or stand sliders
- make the built-in Zeiss telan lenses play well with the non-Zeiss objectives and eyepieces. The original telan lenses are quite likely to delaminate, by the way, and finding third-party ones that fit and work in this stand is not a child's play, so you may be forced to live without telan - it is possible, but why would you voluntarily make your life more difficult?
Everything becomes a lot easier if the stand is mechanically compatible with all the other parts you intend to use.
--ES

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

grgh wrote:
All this talk of Zeiss delamination of objectives? [...]
Not just talk.
P9080001s.JPG
--ES

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

enricosavazzi wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am
grgh wrote:
Not just talk.
P9080001s.JPG
Looks like a soap bubble, these prismatic colours!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:53 am
Looks like a soap bubble, these prismatic colours!
And for good reason: it's basically the same physics, thin film interference from two reflecting surfaces close together.

One can think of it as being like reflection from a thin-walled bubble of air, surrounded on both sides by glass.

--Rik

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

enricosavazzi wrote:
grgh wrote:
Not just talk.
P9080001s.JPG
Did you ever try the "soak in immersion oil" trick on this lens?

harisA

Post by harisA »

The focus block was easily detached from microscope's body.I had to remove 6 screws.Everything looks ok.
z4.jpg
I bath everything in WD40 and now fine focus works just fine.Most importanly i understand how fine focus works.The fine focus gears are indepedent from coarse focus main gear.The internal silver parts are attached to the outer black metal blocks with the aid of ball bearings.Since the silver parts are screwed to the main body the fine focus moves the the black metal blocks.Lomo uses a similar mechanism.

Since the lamp and lamp base are missing i'm thinking to replace them with a hi power led.I 'm thinking to use an xhp50 led.The existing lamp house has a converging lens inside.To calculate the right distance between the led and the lens the image of the led cell must be clearly projected in white flat surface several feet away.Am i correct?
z5.jpg
z6.jpg

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 am
enricosavazzi wrote:
grgh wrote:
Not just talk.
P9080001s.JPG
Did you ever try the "soak in immersion oil" trick on this lens?
Not on delaminated Zeiss lenses. I would need to know the exact refraction index of the Zeiss lens adhesive, then find an immersion oil that matches it. A different immersion oil would probably make things better than an untreated air-filled delamination, but a lens spacing filled with material of two different refraction indices still cannot be optimal.

The only time I messed with lens cement was when I removed the partly delaminated (actually partly dissolved by a cleaning solvent improperly used by a previous lens owner) Canada balsam cementing the two front elements of a 120 mm Macro Nikkor. I reassembled the elements without cement and the lens works fine, in theory slightly more sensitive to flare than before the treatment, but in practice it displays a high image contrast and overall a much higher image resolution. In the condition I purchased it, image quality was really fuzzy because of the uneven surface of the partly dissolved cement.
--ES

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

harisA wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 am
The focus block was easily detached from microscope's body.I had to remove 6 screws.Everything looks ok.
I bath everything in WD40 and now fine focus works just fine.
Congrats for returning it to life. Maybe if you remove as much as possible the WD40 and lube it with damping grease it would work better
Since the lamp and lamp base are missing i'm thinking to replace them with a hi power led.I 'm thinking to use an xhp50 led.The existing lamp house has a converging lens inside.To calculate the right distance between the led and the lens the image of the led cell must be clearly projected in white flat surface several feet away.Am i correct?
Yes, basically you're, but if you use a LED mounting system that allows moving it in the optical axis (like the original lamp does) you can fine tune this distance later. If you still have the original lamp, measure approximately the distance between the lamp filament and the lens (or the base). If not, tell it to me and I could measure mine.
The xhp50 will need a bib heatsink, as I recently said in the other thread I use a Cree XM L2 and it is sufficient for all techniques I use. If I need very short exposure times I use a coupled electronic flash.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic