Godox PB960 Users? Mini Review

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Godox PB960 Users? Mini Review

Post by AlP »

I am looking to buy three Godox PB960's to power my Canon EX II flashes for focus stacking. Anybody have issues with batteries/cables? I know there was battery issues in the past and cables rotting. Thanx.
Last edited by AlP on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertOToole

Re: Godox PB960 Users?

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi AIP,

Bump.

Also interested in any replies with some real world experience with these. The prices are fantastic.

Sorry no helpful info to share!

Best,

Robert

RichardF

Post by RichardF »

Hi,
I use these Godox PB960 batteries for some time now without any complaints. Flashes I use are the Godox TT685 for Sony.
Be aware that the cables used for the Godox TT685S Sony flash require a Canon cable!

The flash output I use is 1/128 or 1/64 and that allows you to shoot 1000+ images.

Best,
Richard

AlP

Post by AlP »

Thanx for the replies. Update: Pleasantly surprised the PB960 (Nikon kits) came with the updated batteries 5800 vrs 4500 milliamp. The Canon cables are two days late in arriving (still waiting).

AlP

Re: Godox PB960 Users? Mini Review

Post by AlP »

RobertOToole wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Also interested in any replies with some real world experience with these. The prices are fantastic.

Robert
As for my units (three), they performed flawlessly and they came with the 5.8Ah batteries (big bonus) versus the older 4.5Ah. On full power, it is a heartbeat or a second recycle using the Y adaptor. I don't think they weigh anymore than my old Lumidyne's did from the late eighties, probably less.

As for construction, the plastic on the cycler is a little on the thin side. There is a handy belt clip and shoulder strap included. The flash cable could be a better design. They protrude outward from the flash unit. They would have been better with a 90° angle downward which would provide less stress. The cable end strain reliefs are on the rigid side, they could have been a little more supple. The XLR type connectors are good and when plugged in there is a round locking collar to keep them in place so they don't accidentally pull out. There is battery indicator on the top of the cycler showing how much juice is left. The on/off button is flush which is much better than those stoopid slide switches of days gone by. There is an included USB connector with an XLR plug to charge up other devices from the cycler or the USB port next to the charging port on the battery itself.

All in all a great package deal even after having to pay extra to get Canon cables. I knocked half a star for the thin plastic on for the cycler housing and another half star for poor design on the flash cable.

On a side note while chatting with a buddy in Australia with his new Godox MF12 kit (four flashes) he said he could manage 6-7 frames continuous at 1/16th power (each flash is self powered Li-ion). I threw on a Yongnuo twin macro light at 1/16th power with the PB960 on the Canon 1Dx and let er rip at 12 fps (frames per second). Seventy RAW frames and the camera buffered, the flash didn't miss a beat nor one wonky exposure. Impressive. I haven't tried running two flashes off one unit as there is no need to in my case. Having done several small focus stacks, 70 - 120 images, not one misfire or shift in exposure that I could see using my Canon 580 EX II's.

As for the so called 2300 full power pops the the 5.8's are supposed to do, I'll probably never be able to prove it right or wrong.
Godox PB960 copy small.jpg

RobertOToole

Re: Godox PB960 Users? Mini Review

Post by RobertOToole »

AlP wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm
RobertOToole wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Robert
As for my units (three), they performed flawlessly and they came with the 5.8Ah batteries (big bonus) versus the older 4.5Ah. On full power, it is a heartbeat or a second recycle using the Y adaptor. I don't think they weigh anymore than my old Lumidyne's did from the late eighties, probably less.

As for construction, the plastic on the cycler is a little on the thin side. There is a handy belt clip and shoulder strap included. The flash cable could be a better design. They protrude outward from the flash unit. They would have been better with a 90° angle downward which would provide less stress. The cable end strain reliefs are on the rigid side, they could have been a little more supple. The XLR type connectors are good and when plugged in there is a round locking collar to keep them in place so they don't accidentally pull out. There is battery indicator on the top of the cycler showing how much juice is left. The on/off button is flush which is much better than those stoopid slide switches of days gone by. There is an included USB connector with an XLR plug to charge up other devices from the cycler or the USB port next to the charging port on the battery itself.

All in all a great package deal even after having to pay extra to get Canon cables. I knocked half a star for the thin plastic on for the cycler housing and another half star for poor design on the flash cable.

On a side note while chatting with a buddy in Australia with his new Godox MF12 kit (four flashes) he said he could manage 6-7 frames continuous at 1/16th power (each flash is self powered Li-ion). I threw on a Yongnuo twin macro light at 1/16th power with the PB960 on the Canon 1Dx and let er rip at 12 fps (frames per second). Seventy RAW frames and the camera buffered, the flash didn't miss a beat nor one wonky exposure. Impressive. I haven't tried running two flashes off one unit as there is no need to in my case. Having done several small focus stacks, 70 - 120 images, not one misfire or shift in exposure that I could see using my Canon 580 EX II's.

As for the so called 2300 full power pops the the 5.8's are supposed to do, I'll probably never be able to prove it right or wrong.Godox PB960 copy small.jpg
Thanks for the update.

Having done several small focus stacks, 70 - 120 images, not one misfire or shift in exposure that I could see using my Canon 580 EX II's.
I can believe that. Nikon isn't much better, their CLS system was prone to mis-fires, failing to trigger, and thermal shut downs regardless of temps. My Canon flash would give me problems with temp shifts (warm to cold back to warm) when doing stacks. Since I stopped buying Canon and Nikon flash, my wife and went to all Godox units and all of my problems disappeared.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic