2x Lens Test: Anyone Have Time For a Quick Look?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Re: 2x Lens Test: Anyone Have Time For a Quick Look?

Post by RobertOToole »

kaleun96 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:03 am
Great test and write-up Robert, I had been waiting for this one! I'm pleased to see I can stick with my Laowa and not bother chasing any further improvements on optical quality at 2x for the time-being. I've been using this lens for about two and a bit years now and it has performed wonderfully, I just wish the Sony version had electrical contacts for aperture and EXIF.
Thanks for taking a look. Yes, I'm happy to see the results also, I ended up buying the Laowa 100 from the owner after the test.

BTW. Last night I added LoCA test results also and the Laowa had just a slight amount of yellow-blue LoCAs. Very minimal, impossible to see in normal macro images I think.

Yes, right about the lack of contacts. I've been shooting with too many lenses lately and I was thinking of the Irix 150 when I though the Laowa had the contacts, so when I went to the Laowa files to look up the f-stops, the EXIF was missing! Good thing I caught that early so I was able to file the images properly. Otherwise I would have had to file them by timestamp or re-shoot!

Also I tested the 2.5x Laowa 25mm night before last, a good performer also, not as good as the 100 but very good for the price, results coming soon!

Best,

Robert

dickb

Post by dickb »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 am
BTW. Last night I added LoCA test results also and the Laowa had just a slight amount of yellow-blue LoCAs. Very minimal, impossible to see in normal macro images I think
You can also see it in the full frame IC corner image, but I agree, I doubt you would see it in many normal macro images.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dickb wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:50 am
RobertOToole wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 am
BTW. Last night I added LoCA test results also and the Laowa had just a slight amount of yellow-blue LoCAs. Very minimal, impossible to see in normal macro images I think
You can also see it in the full frame IC corner image, but I agree, I doubt you would see it in many normal macro images.
I agree Dick.

The IQ (image quality) level was so high in that test that it turns out only a couple showed any traces at all and I spend way too much time putting the images together! I even double checked the A7RIV one more time to make sure the auto CA correction wasn't kicking in, it was not, but I spent the time to check anyway. BTW, just FYI, but with Sony the auto lens corrections are only applied to Jpegs, not RAW files, even so I keep these settings, 3 of them, off for testing.

Everyone should also be aware that if the lens is a Sony brand lens, the lens corrections cannot be disabled, that option is not available in in the menu, and even worse Adobe LR, and PS ACR will also not give you the option to see the original un-modified file. It only opens the files with corrections already applied. When I tested the Sony 90mm macro lens a couple of years ago I had to use the Capture 1 app to convert the RAW files to see the un-modified image files!

Sony is not the only company guilty of the forced auto lens corrections BTW.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic