lighting & setup questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jmurphy18

lighting & setup questions

Post by Jmurphy18 »

Good Day Folks. I am a new shooter to Extreme macro. I have just moved up from an enlarger lens to my 1st objective lens. I am shooting with an Amscope 4x. I am using ThorLabs tubs and rings on RRS plate & clamp I had laying around. I did flock the inside using the Doodle bug sheets Rick mentioned. Camera is the Z6II. I chose this over the D850 due to the mirrorless and the stack size. Rail is a StackShot 3x and the delay between shots is 4 sec to help with vibrations. 1/200 sec & ISO 100. I am presently using two TT600 Godox controlled with Godox ProX-N
Setup picture
_2JJ9189.jpg
My questions #1: I would like to goto to continuous lighting vs the flash. I was looking at the Amscope 20W led fiber optic light. It is 480 lumens according to the website. Would this be a good choice?

#2 is there any advantage in the horizontal vs the vertical setups? I do plan going to a 10x next possibly a 20x depending on my finances. I am retired as is my wife and I still do my drop photography and teach that :)

Thanks much
John
JohnM

ray_parkhurst

Re: lighting & setup questions

Post by ray_parkhurst »

John, welcome to the forum!

I'm a vertical system / continuous lighting guy, so I thought I'd chime in....

I use a vertical system so that I can take advantage of gravity and friction to hold my specimens, usually coins, in place. If your subjects also can be shot while on a flat horizontal surface, then vertical might be for you. But if your subjects need to be held in specialized holders for positioning, then horizontal may be best. Lighting of vertical setups is more constrained due to reduced access. I think most folks on the forum use horizontal so I'll leave any further comments to them.

Regarding the lighting, I have found that the 5W Quans lights work beautifully and have 500 lumens, which is brighter than the Jansjo lights I've used for many years. They are also available in either 3000K or 5000K versions, and the color seems very easy to white balance. The CRI is not rated far as I can tell. Only issue is they only come in a clamp version, though I have been successful in modifying them for alternative mounting.

joshmacro

Post by joshmacro »

One suggestion regarding continuous lighting is to buy E26 socket lamps with a flexible neck and then buy high-CRE LED bulbs separately. You'll get more lumens and good CRI, but you'll lose more control as compared to something like the Quans. Also, high-CRI bulbs with a narrow beam can be expensive.

Jmurphy18

Post by Jmurphy18 »

Ray, Thanks for your kind reply! Sounds like right now I will be better off horizontal but later on I need to look into moving to vertical if I want to do the crystal pictures I have seen with the larger 20x & bigger objectives. Just thinking ahead. Thanks much!

Ray & Josh thanks to both of you for the lighting suggestions. I will see what I can do. Clamps do not bother me fight now as I have AL rails running down the side along my rig. That is how I use my flashes so I could just use the same rails to clamp the lights to. I do have some 40W panels but at 2'x3' the are way to large LOL. That is why I am still using flashes as my Panels are huge and in the way

Thanks so much for the information! HAGD & weekend
JohnM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic