How Stupid Can Someone be? How about you?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

How Stupid Can Someone be? How about you?

Post by RobertOToole »

Feeling terrible, all my limbs hurt, my head is pounding feeling like it weighs 300 pounds, thanks to my second Moderna mRNA-1273 vaccine shot yesterday.

Spent the day running some lens tests to take my mind off the pain but after shooting about 5-6 or 7 hours (with breaks) I realized I was inadvertently in APS-C/Super 35mm mode the whole day by mistake. :-k

Another stupid one?

2 weeks ago I found 5 printing Nikkor 105As at a surplus salvage dealer. The seller specially stated don't ask us about shape of the glass we have no idea (this was not on eBay). The cheapest of the 5 was $180 (big fungus spot). The most expensive one was $380. I bought the best one (and almost bought the cheapest one). The plan was to have it shipped express to me and would go back and share the source if the lens turned out to be okay. But within one or two days at the most, before my lens even arrives, the other PNs were all snapped up.

Today I saw one of the lenses, Serial Number 501280, turned up on eBay in Japan for $999. At least the lens looks minty and it wasn't the best looking lens.

_PN-eBay.jpg

Guess maybe I should have bought all 5? #-o

Lou Jost

Re: How Stupid Can Someone be? How about you?

Post by Lou Jost »

Guess maybe I should have bought all 5?
Well, maybe not the one with the fungus spot...

I've done more stupid things than I can keep track of. Last week I paid for a two-hour taxi ride to a site I needed to surveyu with a drone. Forgot the cable connecting the controller to the tablet that runs the controlling program. Whole day wasted.

We could start a long thread on this subject. You are not alone!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:54 pm
Guess maybe I should have bought all 5?
Well, maybe not the one with the fungus spot...

I've done more stupid things than I can keep track of. Last week I paid for a two-hour taxi ride to a site I needed to surveyu with a drone. Forgot the cable connecting the controller to the tablet that runs the controlling program. Whole day wasted.

We could start a long thread on this subject. You are not alone!
Thanks Lou, I feel a little better. =D>

The reason I wanted the PN with fungus lens is that I thought I might get lucky, as I did with a Rayfact 80mm once, where the fungus was on the outside of the cell, not in an inner element and this lens was cosmetically and A rating. I'm told the outer trim shells of the PNs are removable and the iris section has the two cells attached.

Best,

Robert

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

I keep telling myself, as long as nobody died or got seriously hurt pretty much everything else is peanuts in comparison.

dropping a 50'000 euro camera into the lake (happened to a friend of mine)? so what!
having a kid drown because I made a stupid decision? I really really hope that never happens to me (or anybody else).

so shooting in APS mode ranks pretty low on my list of stupidity :)
chris

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is a very harsh reaction to the Moderna vaccine. I just had my second shot of the same vaccine. A day of malaise and inability to concentrate, but now I'm fine. The wife had no real reaction at all.

Many stupid things I have done in the hobby. One just last summer was that I walked away from my monopod and an accessory pole somewhere deep in the woods. No idea where they are.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonsit

Post by leonsit »

I was tracking down a lens of a full set that is no longer made by the manufacture. The original price of the lens is not exactly cheap and it is rare.

The seller on eBay had only a few review and located in in the middle of nowhere in Russian farmland....

And I was irrational enough to click that button.....

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:33 am
so shooting in APS mode ranks pretty low on my list of stupidity :)
Thanks for that.....but.... all Day! #-o

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:02 am
That is a very harsh reaction to the Moderna vaccine. I just had my second shot of the same vaccine. A day of malaise and inability to concentrate, but now I'm fine. The wife had no real reaction at all.
Happy to report I'm all feeling fine today so it wasn't too bad. :D

BTW, a good family friend, Dr., recommends to get the antibody test (not PCR) Covid test 2 weeks after the 2nd shot and it should show positive.
Many stupid things I have done in the hobby. One just last summer was that I walked away from my monopod and an accessory pole somewhere deep in the woods. No idea where they are.
I found a full size Gitzo CF tripod and a brand new wimberly head (gimbal) in the field once but I turned it into the park HQ lost and found, thats almost $2K worth of tripod BTW, and it was brand spanking new!
Last edited by RobertOToole on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am
recommends to get the PCR Covid test in a week after the 2nd shot and it should show positive.
I suspect some scrambling in the communication. Everything I read says that Moderna is an mRNA vaccine. It stimulates antibody production so it will likely produce a positive antibody test, just like a previous covid infection would. But the vaccine does not contain any of the virus genome that is detected by PCR. Testing positive by PCR would indicate asymptomatic viral presence, independent of the vaccine.

--Rik

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:35 am
RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am
recommends to get the PCR Covid test in a week after the 2nd shot and it should show positive.
I suspect some scrambling in the communication. Everything I read says that Moderna is an mRNA vaccine. It stimulates antibody production so it will likely produce a positive antibody test, just like a previous covid infection would. But the vaccine does not contain any of the virus genome that is detected by PCR. Testing positive by PCR would indicate asymptomatic viral presence, independent of the vaccine.

--Rik
That sounds correct Rik. The Dr I was referring to said you have to let the lab know so they run a specific test but I left that out. My family Dr. friend is an Anesthesiologist with 50+ yrs of experience but he admits he doesn't stay 100% current with Covid info.

Just checked, yes, its an antibody test and these take 2-3 weeks show positive. Thanks!

(More info FYI: https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/C ... /antibody/)

Best,

Robert

JKT

Post by JKT »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:57 am
Thanks for that.....but.... all Day! #-o
I did test shots with different lens combinations for about half a day. When I was finally ready and wrapping everything up I noticed that only two of the three flashes were turned on.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I don't know why its advisable to check for the presence of antibodies after the vaccine. We don't do that for other vaccines. Is there a possibility that it would come out negative?
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Mark, for the vaccines that require deep freezing during transport, I think there would be some chance that these conditions were violated at some point. Certainly here in Ecuador I would be very eager to see if I really got a good-quality dose of the vaccine.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 pm
I don't know why its advisable to check for the presence of antibodies after the vaccine. We don't do that for other vaccines. Is there a possibility that it would come out negative?
I guess just to make sure they didn't use a placebo :)

bit more seriously, I guess it's to check if the body developed a solid immune reaction - which should happen nearly all the time, specially if one gets a headache and hurting limbs - so well done robert :)
chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic