Callus remover

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marek Mis

Callus remover

Post by Marek Mis »

Pol. + retarder + DF

MASZEK

Post by MASZEK »

Hi Marek,

Excellent picture, it is similar to fractal.

Personally I do really like those colours ans shapes presented on picture.

I want to ask You about retarder. Could You explain me what does it mean. if You prefer, please answer me in polish.

All your photos are amazing.

By the way, I want to to tell You, few years ago I read articles in Photography magazines, which had been written by You. Under influence of those articles I have been starting interested microscopy. Last year I bought microscope and started realise my new passion. So if You enjoy picture of parched Chaoborus which I made, It is your fault
:lol: :lol:

Of course I am joking.

I congratulate Your photos.

All the best

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I recently came across some descriptions/illustrations which are nice for retarders,
here https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/eurjmi ... lour-chart

Polarising materials are birefringent, which WIkipedia will explain better than me! The two rays of light which emerge interfere and give you a diffraction pattern. The bands of colours repeat, which you see on a Michel Lévy chart, at whole (1,2,3 etc) wavelength differences in path length through the material. They're often "nicer" if you can delay one of the rays, to get to the "Second order" part of the chart.
The quarter, half and full "wave plates", slow light by that fraction of a 550nm wavelength.
You can use materials like cellophane or "Sellotape" in the thickness you want (by combining) to get the best effect. CD wrappers work well.
The chart which shows that well I think, is this one (though the numbers aren't directly very useful). A traditional Michel-Lévy chart is a section through this illustration, at a particular thickness, which would be different for different materials:

As you probably know the technique is used for diagnostic purposes with geology specimens. There are some nice examples here which show the effect of changing the retardation: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... jcomp.html

If you can arrange to rotate, or tilt (which alters the effectve thickness) , the "wave-plate" you can adjust the colours easily.

Oh - I believe callous remover is often salicylic acid.

[ edits for clarity ]
Last edited by ChrisR on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Nice photo Marek
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the info ChrisR

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Thak you all for comments !

MASZEK, I am proud and happy that my articles caused you to start taking photographs using a microscope. Your Chaoborus details are very, very good !

If about the retarder, Chris has explained it very good. The another name which you can use for the reatrder is compensator (gdy kto? pyta mnie, po co to i jak to dzia?a, to najkrócej odpowiadam, ?e retarder modyfikuje ?wiat?o spolaryzowane w taki sposób, ?e uzyskujemy niemal nieograniczon? palet? barw).
By the way, welcome to this excellent forum. I had a long break but I think I will be looking here more often :)

What is your set for taking micrographs (microscope, objectives, camera) ?

Good luck in your new pasion !

MASZEK

Post by MASZEK »

Hello,

Marek, Thank You very much for your fast feedback. Tell me please, if I have problem with something, may I ask You in polish language. Sometimes there is difficult to use english technical nomenclature to describe the problem. I have noticed your long break on this forum, though my presence is short. Your photos are really masterpiece and there is a big lack of it. I personally think You are the seminal figure in develop photography by microscope in Poland. By the way Jacek is very good as well

ChrisR, Thank You very much for your answer. Great job. Links as well as diagram is very usefull and I think it will be helpfull for me. Thank You very much as well for your explanation and description of diagram.

Best regards,

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice :D

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

MASZEK, I think not too many people at this forum know Polish ;)
So, I think we should realize our conversations in English, at least here.

I think the best way for our conversations in Polish can be Messenger or the e-mails :)

JH

Post by JH »

Very nice picture !
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Thank you, Jorgen.

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Very unusual and beautiful image. It made me think of late 19th century paintings.

Regards,

Walter

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Marek,

Thank you for sharing this voluptuous image! It has inspired me to attempt something significant today.

Best regards,
David

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Thank you Walter and David for your kind comments !

Marek

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

Looks like embroidery. Awesome!

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Thank you Waldo !

Marek

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic