Gradient Universal Filter - 'DIC', DF, OL effects

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

looks really great.

I don't know what was that (maybe a very young water flea or a copepod), but it illustrates well my latest filter modification. It is possible to choose light direction now (from top or from bottom) with no need to remove the filter from its place. All previous effects are of course available (:
20x achromat objective, double gradient universal filter

Jan l'Amie

Post by Jan l'Amie »

Your pictures are getting better and better. What did tou change at the filter ?
I made mine with a normal printer but a friend of me has a laser printer and he will make one for me.
Byomic BYO500T microscope /CIOC XDS-1 invert.
Byomic ST-340 stereomicroscope
Olympus BHM Metallurgical Microscope
Canon EOS 7D Mark II / Canon MP-E65
Cognisys StackShot
www.ngvm.nl

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Jan l'Amie wrote:Your pictures are getting better and better.
thank you, but it usually happens accidentaly ;)

I made some small changes, I will write about it soon because I have one more change to do.

EDIT: 2 darkfield images of a dead larvae taken using my gradient universal filter (:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very good!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Very nice. I always thought a bristleworm would be too thick for darkfield to work good on him, but this looks OK.

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

that worm was dead. it was very thin, only the empty skin and that's why it worked so good (:

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Ah, OK, that makes sense. :)

Jan l'Amie

Post by Jan l'Amie »

Have you ever heard about the ,,darkfield wedge,, ?
Works also great.

http://www.schwaben.de/home/mathias/emi ... rast1.html
Byomic BYO500T microscope /CIOC XDS-1 invert.
Byomic ST-340 stereomicroscope
Olympus BHM Metallurgical Microscope
Canon EOS 7D Mark II / Canon MP-E65
Cognisys StackShot
www.ngvm.nl

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Heard about it and made a dozen of them to test. Some work, but my microscope just is not made to use darkfield filters easily. No filter tray on the condenser. But I recently bought a phase condenser for the scope and can get a really nice darkfield out of my 10x objective, by turning the phase wheel just out of center on the Brightfield stop. First, it goes through Oblique, then into a Darkfield effect before it goes totally black. :)

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Phase condensers are very useful for creating optical contrast enhancements other than their intended use with matched phase objectives. They can create darkfield and circular oblique illumination (COL) effects with mismatched phase or non-phase objectives and these effects can be enhanced by very slightly offsetting the phase ring in the condenser as well, as you have noticed. It's worth experimenting with different phase positions and different objectives. Only downside is that the illumination of the field is often very uneven when the strongest oblique effects are seen.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Dave, I am really looking forward to my first Phase objective. I can already see the potential here in the phase condenser alone. There's a lot of good stills and video ahead. :)

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Jan l'Amie wrote:Have you ever heard about the 'darkfield wedge' ?
Works also great.
I have not, but I was thinking about something like that.

I would like to present an 'alpha' version of my new filter. I'm able to change the background colour now. I have to add some corrections and when I'm done it will be more universal than the previoius version. One filter will allow to adjust/change:

- contrast
- background brightness
- background colour

colour changes test on 5x plan objective
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Litonotus, these are excellent! I especially like the video. Like some one else said, I don't see any benefit DIC would have over what you have created except with high NA objectives. But the benefits of oblique light over DIC would start with ability to use on birefringent specimens and much more light. Keep it up. I will be making one of these myself. Thanks

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Litonous wrote:I'm looking for the C-CU Universal Condenser and the Y-DA Analyzer for Nikon Eclipse E600 microscope, if you see a listing of any of those items please let me know.
http://www.spachoptics.com/NIKON_C_CU_p/nikon-ccu.htm

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

thank you Craig, but this site is out of date. I tried to buy that condenser (together with the DIC nosepiece) about 3 months ago. They answered that it was recently sold and I got only the nosepiece. So they do not have them anymore but both items are still listed on their site :/
I don't see any benefit DIC would have over what you have created
thanks. Someday I will check it by myself, It would be great to make something as good as DIC for less than $2 8)
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic