Collecting Water Critters

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Collecting Water Critters

Post by Ken Ramos »

For those who have questions as to how to go about collecting samples from ponds for the observation of protozoa and other microorganisms, the reply in this thread by our very own Charlie Krebs will be of utmost importance, as well as the replies to the post by some of our other distinguished members on how they go about collecting water critters and many thanks to PeglegOS for bring the subject to the forum. :wink:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=442

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I remember as a kid I would get an old pair of tights(hosiery),cut a length off and attach a small pickle jar to one end.
I would then travel down to the canal or brook and see what I could find. I had a toy 'scope at the time, a xmas gift from my mom,and tho it was all plastic and dark it got me hooked.(I would love to find the same scope now to keep for my kids)

There was another method I'd use but I cant quite rememeber it all!
Basicaly I would collect some moss or soil from the garden, put it into a tub with a lamp above and a funnel below. anything small would migrate from the heat of the lamp and fall down the funnel!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops wrote:There was another method I'd use but I cant quite rememeber it all!
Basicaly I would collect some moss or soil from the garden, put it into a tub with a lamp above and a funnel below. anything small would migrate from the heat of the lamp and fall down the funnel!
Google "berlese funnel" and I'll bet it will all come back to you. :wink:

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote: !
Google "berlese funnel" and I'll bet it will all come back to you. :wink:

--Rik[/quote]

Cant say I remember it being called that but what i found on this website looks a little like what i would have done!

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent591k/berlese.html

Thaks for remionding me Rik!
Oh why did i stop..........
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

I'm going to get one of these Seperatory Funnel Sets soon:

You allow the water to sit for a while, then siphon from the bottom. Will give you a concentrated solution.
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

I use a plastic turkey baster syringe to draw samples from the top scum or bottom detritus.
I also carry a pair of large surplus haemostats for retrieving algae like Spirogyra.

For crustations, I made a simple sieve about 3 inches in diameter from fine mesh net cloth at the end of a long plastic handle.

Empty instant coffee jars are used to bring the samples home.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The Berlese Funnel is also known as the Tullgren Funnel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullgren_funnel

For I used such funnels for (one method of) collecting mites and springtails for study. You can place water in the collecting vessel if you want live material. A glass funnel is probably more slippery than plastic so that there is less chance of escape.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Here is a scan I took from one of my books: The Amateur Naturalist by Gerald & Lee Durrell

The page illustrates some methods for catching small bugs. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic