Camera setup for Axioskop

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pogonomyrmex

Camera setup for Axioskop

Post by Pogonomyrmex »

Hello all, I recently got a Zeiss Axioskop with a trinocular head and an old MC 100 camera attached to it (see attached image). There are a number of things I want to start upgrading on it beginning with the camera but am very much in the dark with how to do this. I have looked into it but have quickly become overwhelmed, it seems like everything is dependent on the microscope and camera and I'm have difficulty even knowing where to begin. I was thinking about getting a somewhat older dlsr or mirrorless camera as opposed to a USB camera. That is as far as I've gotten though. I was hoping I could get a little guidance on where to start as far as cameras and the appropriate equipment needed to attach it to this microscope. Thank you.
AxioSkop.jpg

Scarodactyl

Re: Camera setup for Axioskop

Post by Scarodactyl »

I think you're in luck and you have the 35mm unit. It has a 10x photo eyepiece and a 0.25x reducing lens. You just need to take that reducing lens and mount it on your modern camera, focused to infinity, and mount it above the 10x eyepiece. I have never done it with this jnit so I don't know the exact mechanics.
If you want to use aps-c remove the 0.25 lens and use a 40mm pancake lens focused to infinity on your camera instead.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

This is a nice scope, and with DIC components!

As Scarodactyl says it must be an eyepiece under the camera at the microscope phototube with a camera relay lens over it.
Unlock (unscrewing it a bit) the black knurled ring between the camera and the microscope tube, pull the camera up and you will have a black short tube of 40mm external diameter and 30mm internal diameter likely with an eyepiece in it. It can be the S-Pl 10X (the most desirable) or Pl 10X or others.

There are lots of possibilities of camera setups with this microscope, many of them with original Zeiss adapters and also with aftermarket adapters and even self made stuff.
Some of them work following the afocal principle like the MC100 while others can do eyepiece projection (for example with the Zeiss P2.5X photoeyepiece) or direct projection with small sensor cameras

Do you already have a camera that you want to adapt?
What's your goal? A dedicated microscope camera is more convenient for daily use although good ones are very expensive and even with many of them the image quality can be inferior than with a DSLR or mirrorless

I have quite some useful papers (manuals, brochures, images...) illustrating different camera setups and the manual for your microscope that I can send you if you drop me a PM
Pau

Pogonomyrmex

Post by Pogonomyrmex »

Thank you Scarodactyl and Pau for the advice.

It does have a S-PL 10x/20 44 40 39 eyepiece under the camera.

I don't have a specific camera I'm wanting to attach but I want to be very intentional about the one I choose. I would like to have the option to attach it to my Olympus sz6045 but that is a different thread for a different time.

As far as my goals, I plan to view and photograph slide mounted arthropods as well as some living samples. I'm still leaning toward a DSLR or mirrorless.

Pau sending a PM now.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I have handled an sz4045 and it could direct project obto aps-c with very good results. I assume the 6045 would be similar. As such I'd suggest aiming for aps-c and permanently mount a 40mm or so lens above the photo eyepiece on your Zeiss so you can swap your camera back and forth between them.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Info and many links to other afocal setups at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 265#p99265
Take a look at the different options here and at the documents I'm sending and we can later discuss the more convenient options

In principle the best lens options over your 10X S-Pl are 40mm prime lens for APSC and about 60mm for Full Frame like the classic Zeiss 63mm lenses like the "0.25X" adapter I use

About the cameras, a mirrorless or DSLR are good options, in fact the preferred one by most amateur photomicrographers.
You want one able to shot without transmitting vibrations to the microscope and easy to tether to the computer (or at least with movable rear screen)
Nowadays many (but not all!) models would accomplish both exigences.
I'm not up date of camera models so other members could offer more precise advice.
Full frame models are in most cases more expensive although they can have some advantage for using the Zeiss adapters designed for 35mm film. High megapixel count ones also will work well in APSC crop mode but they may be too expensive for microscope use.

Some modern mirrorless models are better suited for microscope use than most DSLRs as they don't have flipping mirror (of course!) and can have full electronic shutter, absolutely free of vibration and also because their shorter flange focal distance are better for direct projection in many cases like Scarodactyl suggests*
Personally I would go for Canon (in big part because I know them better), most of them offer silent shooting mode and good tethering with free software. Desirable APSC Canon mirrorless models are the new R7 and the M6 MkII with full electronic shutter. Almost all APSC DSLRs are adequate from the 450D, 7D and 50D and 80D (avoid 60D, may be 70D and older models)

Sony also has excellent models and likely also some Nikon, Fuji..etc, I let them for other people's advice

*You even could try direct projection with the Axioskop placing the camera sensor 10mm lower than the end of the phototube eyepiece black tube end, of course with a custom made adapter
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic