Software question

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

VIP

Software question

Post by VIP »

When I photograph slides, I place a scale such as “I________I = 30 um” on the photo.
I have to do this manually. Is there software available to do this automatically?
All suggestions are appreciated.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Software question

Post by Chris S. »

VIP,

You've likely seen and read the two "sticky" posts at the top of this section of the forum, but I'll mention them just in case there is anything there that is new to you: here, near the top.

But you asked specifically about automating the process of making scale bars. If I were looking to do this, I'd write an "action" in Photoshop. It would be rather easy to do, provided that you shoot at a finite set of magnifications-on-sensor, and that you run the action before doing any cropping or resizing. Creating simple actions in Photoshop does not require any significant knowledge of programming.

I'd imagine that other robust photo-editing applications have similar capability for automating routine tasks. They might call it creating a "macro" or "script." Adobe's use of the term "action" has struck me as confusing--I'd have called it a "macro," as many other applications do. (FYI, Photoshop also has "scripts," which are not quite as intuitive to create, but can perform more robust work, and can be used within actions.)

--Chris S.

MikeBradley

Post by MikeBradley »

VIP, take a look at Micom, from ScienceForAll, once calibrated it offers the sort of features you seem to be looking for. And I believe it is still free.
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

I use Image J (Fiji distribution: https://imagej.net/software/fiji/ ). I use it for items in mm up to 10cm, but it can be used for smaller sizes. To work I already have the size of my image or an object within the image. With that it mind:

1. Load image into Image J

2. Choose the line drawing tool from toolbar

3. Draw a line the size of the object to be measured or the width of the image (which ever you have). In my example the line is 10mm

4. Choose Analyse>Set scale

5. Fill in the field Known Distance (the size of the line you drew earlier, for me 10mm)

6. Then choose Unit of Length and enter mm (or whatever is your measurement).

7. Scale is now set

8. To put a scale on the image select choose Analyse>Tools>Scale Bar and choose your settings

9. I would change the 10mm to 1 mm (in Width in mm), otherwise the scale will be across the whole image. Not an issue if your line was draw the exact size of the object.

10. Save the new image. I use the same file name, but just add scale to the file name.

After doing it a couple of times it was easy to remember. I do use ImageJ to undertake colour analysis as well (PlugIns>Color Inspector 3D). ImageJ has many, many other features.

The main advantage is you draw a line the length of which you know on the image, then the program works out the scale bar, which you can then customise.

VIP

Post by VIP »

Thanks, I'll try both and let you know how I make out.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Please note also there are a couple of new answers in your original thread, at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 47#p284347 .

--Rik

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

MikeBradley wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:49 pm
take a look at Micom, from ScienceForAll
That would be MICAM (stands for: Microscope Image Capture And Measurement)
http://www.science4all.nl/?Microscopy_and_Photography
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

dy5

Post by dy5 »

Just to mention that you can find basic measuring and scale bar creation in Photoshop (at least Photoshop 22 for Mac). The last item on the Image pull-down is Analysis. There you can enter distance-to-pixel calibrations then store them as presets. You can use the Ruler tool to get the distance-to-pixel calibrations from photos of a stage micrometer for each objective as others have described. Once the calibrations are in place, you can easily do direct measurements on photos with the Ruler and also create scale bars. (This all may be the basis for the 'actions' that Chris S. described above.)

Photoshop doesn't have some of the nice features that a dedicated microscopy measurement program would have. However, it's reasonably easy to use for this purpose and provides good flexibility for making the scale bars (scale, size, positioning, font, color, etc.).

Cheers, David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic