Zeiss Axioskop 50 and digital cameras

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RonP

Zeiss Axioskop 50 and digital cameras

Post by RonP »

I recently posted this on a different forum but got no reply - probably because I should have put my query on 'Beginners Forum'. I am a new recruit to this forum, but hope that someone out there can help me! I am a bryologist (mosses and liverworts) so depend on my microscopes everyday. I recently replaced my inexpensive Brunel microscope (which ceased to function) with a fine second-hand Zeiss Akioscop 50, and there is much to learn about it, but the real problem is I need a basic camera set-up so I can exchange images with my colleagues when we have troublesome species to identify - so I am not looking for a top-of-range expensive kit - more a budget very simple set-up that connects to the computer. The Akioskop has a trinocular head with what I believe is known as a C-mount (please see pictures). I was specifically wondering about the Bresser MikroCam SP5.0 microscope camera (as sold on Amazon). But I have no idea whether this will fit onto the Akioscop tube, or do I need adaptors (the Bresser camera comes with various adaptors). I have decided not to go down the route of a DSLR camera, preferring the simplicity of a digital microscope camera such as the one I mentioned. If anyone is familiar with Bresser, or can help in any way, I would be very grateful to hear from you.
Attachments
zeiss axioskop 50.jpg
c-mount on the microscope.jpg

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Zeiss Axioskop 50 and digital cameras

Post by Pau »

Hi Ron,
welcome to the forum!

Your post was well placed at Equipment Discussions and also is here.

I saw your post but I have not enough info for answering, so I was waiting for other members to do it. Most members here do use bigger sensor cameras.
Perhaps a more adequate forum for answering could be www.microbehunter.com

Very likely you have the right C-mount adapter to just screw a dedicated microscope camera on, but C mount is not a full standardized mount: the thread and the flange focal distance are (at least in most cases) but secondary magnification and sensor size are pretty variable.
There are many different sensor sizes and the secondary magnification must be matched with it, if not you still can have a decent image but too cropped (if the sensor is too small / secondary magnification too high) or with vignette and bad quality at the image periphery (if the sensor is too big / secondary magnification too small)

- Does your gray C mount adapter have anything engraved on it? (brand, magnification, model number....) Is it the original Zeiss one?
- Does it have a lens inside? (you can dismount it from the phototube easily just unscrewing one bolt with a hex key) If not, it is a direct projection adapter and at the Axioscop 50 instructions* you could find the adequate sensor size

* Do you have the booklet?
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

For the record a DSLR isn't really any more complex than a c mount camera in a microscope context (once it's mounted--actually mounting it can be more of a pain). With my canon I can control it from my phone via wifi or tethered to a computer with liveview using canon's software. You won't get automatic scale bars but you'll have a lot finer control and higher image quality. In contrast my attempts with c mount cameras have been far less pleasant with ultimately poor results, though some do manage great things with them.
Unfortunately the specifics of the axioskop are beyond me--if it were nikon or canon or leitz that would be different.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I have been searching on the net and I can add some more info:

The C mount adapter seems to be the Zeiss 45 29 95 is it?
if so, it is a 1X model. Zeiss pairs it with its Axiocam cameras with a 2/3" sensor (11mm diagonal) , although I guess that 1" sensor would deliver better coverage.

Some links that could be of your interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwwJZKEfgo

viewtopic.php?p=180363#p180363

https://www-mikroskopie--forum-de.trans ... r_pto=wapp

https://www-mikroskopie--ph-de.translat ... r_pto=wapp

https://www-mikroskopie--forum-de.trans ... #msg204896

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format
Pau

RonP

Post by RonP »

Hi Pau,
Many thanks for taking the time and effort to reply! To answer your questions the c-mount is an original Zeiss with 45 29 95, it has NO lens inside and I do not have an instruction booklet. Another forum member recommended a DSLR as no more complicated, but for me it is, and I wish to use a digital microscope camera. Anyway, I enquired about an adaptor for a Canon DSLR body and it would cost several 100 euro!
I mentioned that I was thinking about the Bresser Mikro Cam SP 5.0 MP microscope camera, but since then I have seen (also on Amazon) an AmScope MU 900-CK 9 MP microscope camera which has good reviews so I thought I might go for that one instead.
I understand you cannot recommend either unit as you do not have experience of them, but if you know if they would fit my microscope without the need for further tubes, lenses or adaptors then that would be very helpful.
I looked more closely at my c-mount - it can be removed completely from the trinocular head as a single unit but cannot be disassembled further, even though I removed tiny grub screws, but it does turn on a thread. I just don't know if the digital microscope cameras I mentioned above will fit.
Thanks also for all the links to further information on the subject - there is a lot of information there and it will take time to digest.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Ron, the cameras you're considering have 1/2,5'' sensors, much smaller than the 2/3" or 1" recommended for your 1X adapter. They will work for sure but the image will be severely cropped. See this comparison (from Wikipedia): the 1/2.5" is less than half the 2/3"
sensors.jpg
You could change your 1X C adapter for a 0.5X or 0.35X one (there are cheap models online although I have no clues about their quality and the Zeiss models will be likely very expensive if available) or look for 2/3" sensor sized camera.

At work I had a Bresser Mikro cam 3MP and it was useful for classroom demonstrations but I didn't like its image quality and sensor size image cropping.
Pau

RonP

Post by RonP »

Thanks Pau for your advice. What I need to do next is to try and find a micrscope camera with a sensor sixe of 2/3" or 1", and see what the price is!

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The Rising 20mp camera got a very solid review in this pretty excellent lineup https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 19&p=87503

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic