Need Help Using Wild M5 Photo Tube A 256528

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rwilliams319

Need Help Using Wild M5 Photo Tube A 256528

Post by rwilliams319 »

Hello,

I am new to this. As mentioned in the Subject Line I have a Wild M5 and the Photo Tube A, 256528, no lens or adapters for the Photo Tube.

I would like to be able to photograph a few things under the microscope. But I really don't know much other than it is possible. I have not been able find much on the internet so for.

Can any one give me a bit of advise or links to good references or tutorials.

Thanks,

Bob

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Bob,

What camera do you have?

The original instructions can be found here http://www.science-info.net/docs/wild/W ... or-Use.pdf The camera adaptation follows the "afocal" principle.

You need:
- an eyepiece
- a camera lens
- a clamp adapter to hold the camera

When you focus an object through the binoculars, take one of the eyepieces, put it in phototube A, exchange the binoculars for phototube A: is the object still in focus = are the eyepieces parfocal?

If so, is the inner diameter of the top of the phototube 30 mm, and the external diameter about 33 mm?

It's relatively easy to get suitable camera lenses and clamp adapters off the shelf. It mostly depends on the camera you want to use. An adapter for direct projection (not afocal) requires machining your own adapter if you have access to that. Please note that this microscope is mostly suitable for single-shot photography. Stacking is difficult because of the off-axis ray path.

Regards, Ichty

rwilliams319

Post by rwilliams319 »

Ichty,

Thanks for the reply. Now to answer your questions and a few more questions from the ignorant.

Currently my only camera in a small Nikon snap and shoot; I got away from any thing close to serious photography as I got distracted by other things.

I have found the Wild M5 Instructions, a good document, but could not decipher much about photography.

Parfocal - I think I understand (changing parfocal lens, the view is still in focus), Afocal - I read a definition, but I don't think I truly understand it. "Direct Projection" - not a clue unless it means the image is not reversed.

I believe the Phototube A is 30mm inner diameter. I measured but do not recall for sure and it is currently in my shop.

I will try what you said about swapping the binocular head, Phototube and lens.

I do have machine tool and can turn and thread adapters/tubes.

Thanks,

Bob

Ichthyophthirius

Hi Bob,

This page explains afocal photography. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afocal_photography

The idea is to photograph through the eyepiece and have the camera take the place of the human eye. Large cameras like DSLRs can be adapted this way; a clamp adapter is used to position a camera with prime lens above the eyepiece. The weight of the camera rests on the camera lens mount.

Point and shoot cameras are a bit tricky to adapt, especially if the lens moves in and out. Whether it can be used on a microscope depends on the model. It's easiest if there is a fixed filter thread that can carry the weight of the camera. You can get some inspiration for homemade adapters here http://www.truetex.com/micad.htm

If the camera lens is too flimsy, it might be worth working with a mini tripod instead. You use the tripod to shoot photos through the binocular eyepieces, you don't even need the phototube.

Regards, Ichty

rwilliams319

Post by rwilliams319 »

Ichty,

I think I understand the afocal concept now, the link's information was good.

I expected the point and shoot to be iffy at best, I will look around for something digital with a filter thread. My cameras with filter threads are all film cameras that are hiding in drawers. Film just has too much turn around time for me to want to mess with.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Ichthyophthirius

Some people also get good results with high-end smartphone cameras if you have one of those. You just need a bracket holder, attached to the eyepiece, for that.

rwilliams319

Post by rwilliams319 »

Hi,

The eyepiece OD and the phototube ID are both 30mm plus or minus sliding fit tolerances . I did not try any thing with the phototube, but I did try through one of the binocular eyepieces just hand holding a less than current iPhone. I did get an image somewhat in focus but with significant vignetting, at least a start.

Bob

Ichthyophthirius

Hi Bob,

This was posted in another forum. This is the image on a microscope you get straight out of a Galaxy S7, no processing, just resized. You would obviously cut out the center. Although I have to say my own smartphone pictures are not nearly is good.

https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... 8199;image

rwilliams319

Post by rwilliams319 »

The lighting, exposure and detail is amazing. Do you know what it is?

Thanks,
Bob

Ichthyophthirius

I don't know. It's part of a botanical section https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... 8201;image but I don't know which plant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic