new picture, First Micro

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hotrodder19

new picture, First Micro

Post by hotrodder19 »

Same insect, different lighting, different exposure, mirror up, 1/200 sec F 6.3. Gentle comments . Am I on the right track? What changes do I need to make.

hotrodder19

hotrodder19

first micro adjusted settings etc

Post by hotrodder19 »

Thought I'd better post the picture.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks OK at this resolution.

Can we see actual pixels of those sharp parts around the eyes?

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That looks a lot better!
If you had a few with slightly increments focus distance, they'd stack just fine.
To try that, ther easiest way is probably to eyeball the image in Expanded Live View, and adjustthe focus onthe lens a teeny bit. The Velbon isn't really fine enough for 10x.

On the diffusion thing, if you make tissue paper stand away from the front of the Jansjo light "lens", the fairly small central spot of light they give is projected as a larger circle onto it, and it'll be nearer the bug, so the bug would see a much larger light
Chris R

hotrodder19

FIRST MACRO RE DONE IMAGE

Post by hotrodder19 »

Chris, are you saying to re adjust the focus each shot ? How would you do it ? The Velbon slider is mounted on a dual way micro slider for action, the Velbon just holds the camera. This shot was done with a 4x micro on the 200mm Nikkof F4 lens.

hotrodder19

first macro re done

Post by hotrodder19 »

Rik, this is an image of an "inch Ant" naturally about an inch long with a sting and bite to match and boy do they get angry when you upset their nest. Hope this crop of the final Zerene image is what you need.Image

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: first macro re done

Post by rjlittlefield »

hotrodder19 wrote:Hope this crop of the final Zerene image is what you need.
What I was hoping to get when I said "actual pixels" is described at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=36168 (FAQ: What is '100% crop' or 'actual pixels crop' ?}

The image that you've shown is 480x480 pixels, and it occupies an area that is about 39% x 56% of the first image that you posted.

But if the first image reflects the whole frame of your D750, camera resolution 6016 x 4016 pixels, then I'd expect a 480x480 pixels crop to be only about 8% x 12% of the image.

Add to that, a 480x480 pixels crop in the similar image that you sent me by email looks like this:

My best guess is that you've done some resizing that you haven't thought about, and the crop that you've shown has been shrunk quite a bit from the camera's actual pixels that I wanted to see.

--Rik

hotrodder19

first micro re done

Post by hotrodder19 »

Rik, in all the flurry of getting smaller pics to send to you guys for assessment I have lost my original Zerene Max image. I cant reproduce it because my Trial of Zerene ran out last night. Sorry.Can send a trial from Helicon or Affinity? Ouch he says ? let me know

Cheers hotrodder19

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Check your regular email. I sent you an extended trial license key for Zerene Stacker. Helicon or Affinity would probably be OK for this discussion, but I'd rather change as few things as possible when trying to debug problems.

--Rik

hotrodder19

first macr re done

Post by hotrodder19 »

Hello Mr Rik, thanks for the extension of software. Here is the pixel piece you want. Something else that bothered me was the fuzziness at the far side of the head. In this last stack I kept going in an attempt to get rid of it but did not succeed, what does it represent? Is it simply an area not in the right plane for
the micro pic ?

Cheers hotrodder19

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: first macr re done

Post by rjlittlefield »

hotrodder19 wrote:Here is the pixel piece you want
I'm not seeing an image in your post.

--Rik

hotrodder19

Post by hotrodder19 »

dont know what happened to my pic but here it is again---oops , it won't let me because it is too large 908 kb ??

hotrodder19

Post by hotrodder19 »

says the forum will re size--how ?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The forum will resize images only if their pixel dimensions exceed 1024 pixels in width or height. It is very bad practice to let the forum do this, because its resizing methods introduce unpredictable degradation.

The forum will simply reject images if their pixel dimensions fit in 1024x1024 but the file length exceeds 300 KB. The standard solution in this case is for you (the poster) to re-save the image as a smaller JPEG, by specifying a lower image quality (more compression). In Photoshop, a particularly helpful method is File > Export > Save For Web, which strips some metadata that would otherwise consume file space.

Here is the way the behavior is described on the Image Hosting Steps page:
One caution: there is a feature that at first glance looks like it may be useful, but actually it is not. If the image on your PC exceeds the maximum image dimensions (1024 pixels in width and height), then the forum software will automatically and silently resize it for you. Don't be fooled! The forum software will indeed resize an overly large image, but the quality is very poor. It is much better to have the image sized properly before uploading.

If the image dimensions are within limits, but the file size is too long (over 300 KB), then the upload will be rejected with an error message, "Filesize exceeds limit." The image will not be automatically resized in this case.

When both the image dimensions and the file size are within limits, then the forum will serve back an image that is bit-wise identical to what was uploaded.
--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic