Why is this not fitting?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Nunki

Why is this not fitting?

Post by Nunki »

Hello everyone:

I just got my RMS to M42X1 adapter cone, but when I tried to fit it to my extension tube for my Nikon it just doesn't fit. It's diameter is smaller than the extension tube diameter basically.

Here are some images of what I'm talking about:

Can anyone tell me what piece I'm missing? I'm guessing a M42X1 to Nikon F-Mount perhaps?

Regards!

johan

Post by johan »

Yes, basically correct. Thay are different mounts: M42 is a very old one that used to be used in the 1960s before brands all developed their own (like the Nikon mount).

I think this, or the local equivalent, might help you out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M42-Lens-Niko ... 336351b615

You want a M42 female to Nikon male adapter

Note: I'm not a Nikon user. So if someone who is could just doublecheck this information that'd be great.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, that should work.

Be aware that some of these adapters come with lenses of their own. The ones with lenses provide infinity focus for lenses that are mounted directly on the camera. They will also work with extension tubes or bellows, but only when the adapter mounts directly to the camera and the tubes/bellows are M42 and mounted outside the adapter. An adapter with lens will not work properly on the end of Nikon extension tubes in a setup as shown here.

This application requires an adapter with no lens, such as the one that you've linked.

--Rik

Nunki

More questions...

Post by Nunki »

Thank you both for your answers, but I have one more question.
If I want my camera to read the exposure levels and so on, I would need a chipped adapter, but how many??
An M42 to Nikon F to join the "cone" with one end of the extension tube, and then a Nikon F to join the other end of the extension tube to the camera body?
As you see I'm a bit lost on this one.
Also, is it really necessary to have a chipped adapter?

Regards!

Babylonia

Post by Babylonia »

The extension rings you are showing does not have contacts either. So don't bother. If exposure levels can be read is depending from Nikon camera model. Bodies like D300, D7000, D700, D3 etc. do have the option to meter with old manual Ai(s) lenses and accessories. Using extension rings the metering method is used as a "aperture shut down" style. But with less light, (and use of slow lenses, like this little tube-lens) the result become unreliable, or even is not possible at all if everything is very dark. Better do al settings fully manual and just make a test exposure. Look to histogram plus highlight blinking tool at the LCD-monitor. That are far better tools for judging if exposure is correct than a half functioning light meter.
Greetings from Holland

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

johan wrote:Yes, basically correct. Thay are different mounts: M42 is a very old one that used to be used in the 1960s before brands all developed their own (like the Nikon mount).
You want a M42 female to Nikon male adapter

Note: I'm not a Nikon user. So if someone who is could just doublecheck this information that'd be great.
The information is correct except (for completeness) the dates are wrong. The M42 mount was introduced in 1939 with the Praktiflex SLR, and popularised with the Zeiss Ikon Contax S SLR in 1949. The Nikon F-mount was introduced in 1959 with the Nikon F SLR camera.

None of which affects the advice given - you need a (glassless, 'non infinity focus') M42 to Nikon F adapter. Alternatively, an M42 to 52mm adapter followed by a 52mm to Nikon F reversing adapter.

You also need some matt black paint or black flocking inside the cone and covering the shiny end of the microscope objective, to prevent flare.
Last edited by ChrisLilley on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You also need some matt black paint or black flocking inside the cone and coverig the shiny end of the microscope objective, to prevent flare.
+1 on that. Also those tubes are shiny, and will benefit from flocking.
If you don't have any ("Protostar" is the forum's material of choice) you could try matt black paint, but that's often shiny too, at shallow angles. You could try a disc of black paper at the rear end of the cone with a hole in it only just big enough to not obstruct the path from the objective back end, to the sensor, so about 12mm diameter.
The shiny ring onthe rear of the objective also causes problems. Black PVC tape can deal with that, though something duller is better.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: More questions...

Post by Pau »

Nunki wrote: Also, is it really necessary to have a chipped adapter?
What camera?. I assume it's a Nikon. Some Nikon need it to meter.

For use a chipped adapter if you need it, you may have two options:
Buy the chip alone and glue it to the male F mount of your extension tubes or buy a very chap M42 extension tubes set and a chipped M42 to Nikon adapter

(but as Babylonia said, you can live without metering, as this kind of setup is not intended to take fast action shots)
Pau

Nunki

Post by Nunki »

Thanks for the advice on painting the interiors of the cone + extension tubes black as I had no idea I had to.
I just ordered the M42 to Nikon ring, so it should arrive in a couple of weeks.
@Pau, my camera is a Nikon D80, but as I mentioned before I went for the cheep and cheerful adapter ring, as I thought I could manage to get correct exposures with a little trial and error :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic