Affordable options to mount Nikon on Olympus SZ61

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pseudoryx

Affordable options to mount Nikon on Olympus SZ61

Post by Pseudoryx »

I have an Olympus SZ61 at work that I can use on some small animals over the next week and was wondering if there are affordable options to mount my Nikon Z50 to its C-mount? I have never done microphotography before and I think LMScope might have an adapter for this, but they seem too expensive to be a feasible entry option for me.

Neil

Re: Affordable options to mount Nikon on Olympus SZ61

Post by Neil »

Another suggestion could be to use the T-mount as the intermediary and that is the way Olympus recommend to do it. So you could have a stack of U-TV1X-2 on the bottom, a U-TMAD in the middle and a U-FMT (which goes from T-Mount to Nikon F-Mount). I realise that your Z-Mount will be different to the traditional F-Mount - but maybe you have the Nikon Z to F adapter sitting around.

I use this configuration with a Nikon D4 on a BX-53M/P.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The sz61 has a built in 0.5x c mount. There's no officialway to put on a dslr and it would not be easy to accomplish.

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

The vertical tube on the Olympus SZ61TR was designed for attaching a DP12 camera which has a 1/1.8 sensor; I think this is about 9mm diagonal.

sz61.jpg

This is much smaller than a Micro 4/3 sensor, 22.5 mm diagonal, so I don't think you could attach a digital SLR or mirrorless camera unless you use an adapter that replaces one of the eyepieces.

Alan Wood

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

A bit too late, but there is a good and usually not expensive setup:

Nikon made a compact digital camera adapter named MDC lens for their older Coolpix series. Basically it's a very good quality 10X FN18 high eyepoint eyepiece with a female C-mount tread in the lower end and a M28x0.75 male thread in the upper end.

This allows to make afocal* photomicrography with a prime lens and inexpensive adapters 28 to 52mm step up and 50mm camera lens, for example.

AFAIK there are two MDC models: the older black one I own allows to remove the external cylinder to mount it in a standard 30mm eyepiece tube wile the newer one silver or red colored I think doesn't. (There is also a more uncommon black model with a conical sector between two cylindrical parts that I guess is functionally equivalent)

* info on afocal: viewtopic.php?p=99265#p99265

No info about the seller but the price sounds great: https://www.gamesnicer.xyz/detail/3-Nik ... upmuv.html
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic