Spider over Tomato

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Raul G

Spider over Tomato

Post by Raul G »

Hi Guys, I would like to share with you an image of a spider over a fresh tomato taken with a stereomicroscope. In this case I did not use ocular projection so the sharp image is consequence of prime focus.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well however you managed to take it Raul, that is one great shot through a stereomicroscope. You say you did not use an ocular, what did then did you do, shoot straight down an empty photo tube and if so with what kind of camera? :D

Raul G

RIG

Post by Raul G »

Hi Ken,
Without ocular projection I only get from 1x to 6.5x. This works fine on big subjects like the one in the photo; You use the objective as lens. I did it here with a Nikon SLR on a T mount. Using objectives in front of the CCD is fun stuff, especially when you dont need full magnification of a lens.
The other important issue is lighting. You might have bad optics, but with a good light you may improve things a lot. The good thing on the stereo is that you have plenty of room to work and to improvise with diffusers and electronic flashes.
The importance on the quality of light applies also on a compound microscope, you might have PlanApo optics, but that does not compare to a good old, well collimated, oblique beam.

Raul G.

bernhardinho

Re: RIG

Post by bernhardinho »

Raul G wrote:Hi Ken,
Without ocular projection I only get from 1x to 6.5x. This works fine on big subjects like the one in the photo; You use the objective as lens. I did it here with a Nikon SLR on a T mount. Using objectives in front of the CCD is fun stuff, especially when you dont need full magnification of a lens.

Raul G.
Hi Raul

may be I'm having language problems, but I don't understand that at all! You mean you attached the microscope objective to the camera via t-mount?? Could you please post I pic of your set-up?

Cheers Bernhard

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

He probably means that he mounted the camera to the ocular tube with no ocular in it and also no other relay nor projective lens. The initial image of the objective is brought to focus right on the sensor without the additional magnification of an ocular or projective.

This is an old technique that used to be recommended only for low magnification because in the olden days objectives were not "CF" as they are now in many cases. But on the other hand all you need is the microscope and the camera so it was a good entry level method. It was easy and handy on a monocular tube microscope so was used by many hobbyists to find out whether they liked to do microscope photography.

Raul G

Ocular Projection notes

Post by Raul G »

True.

I also want to add that without an ocular, images are smaller so they have more resolution, also you have extra space to work with illumination.

This next image is from the configuration I used on the spider shot, the camera goes right in top of the beam splitter. It gives me magnifications from 1X to 6.5X

Then goes the ocular, and on top of it a T mount for the camera coupling. I use a T mount because these parts are from an astrophotography setup. Here I can reach from 10X to 65X

ImageImage

I also use resources like this next one:

Sometimes using an objective in that manner can work way better than using a 1:1 macro lenses

The next picture it is also from an old technique.
Have you ever hear about the Rife microscope?
Royal Raymond Rife
That is quite a google search.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic