Cyclidium (and other fast moving little critters)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Cyclidium (and other fast moving little critters)

Post by Charles Krebs »

After a few diatoms I decided to go after some small fast moving creatures. A few drops of water from a tray kept near an outdoor bird feeder yielded these.

The top image appears to be a species of Cyclidium. You can see the long caudal cilium, and the large undulating membrane around the mouth.

Don't know what we have in the lower image. The two anterior flagella first made me think of Cryptomonas, but when I looked closer they appeared quite different. They move about in a rapid, jerky motion (I wasn't sure I would be able to "stop" them even with the flash). There appears to be a very prominent nucleus. Average size was about 7x16 microns. Anyone know? :smt017

Olympus 40/0.95. DIC. Canon 350D. Electronic flash.

Olympus 100/1.40. DIC. Canon 350D. Electronic flash.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

ive seen these guys before in the lower pic, exactly identical, and in a big group, i found mine from water with rotting vegetables cabbage etc, no idea what they are unfortunetly, some kind of flagellates, peranema maybe?

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

After looking around a little, my best guess right now would be a species of Polytoma (possibly Polytoma caudatum).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic