Bleb formation, amoeboid movement

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ramos Kenneth D

Bleb formation, amoeboid movement

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

We all have to start somewhere and with amoeboid movement it can sometimes, not always, begin with a bleb Bleb-driven motility . Amoeboid movement here is exhibited in the beginning formation (arrows) of blebs/pseudopodia in the slime mold plasmodium Physarum roseum. I have been studying slime molds, Myxogastria, it seems, for quite a number of years. Mostly species diversity, and have just yet to begin looking into amoeboid movement until here recently. Since this is all new ground for me to explore, please bare with me as mistakes are most likely to be made during the learning process. Image data: Meiji EMZ-8TRH @ 20X utilizing a Canon Powershot G9X camera bracketed to the phototube of the microscope, a 10X ocular is used as the relay. 6W LED illumination. Processing: PhotoScape X
Attachments
IMG_0102@20X P. roseum plasmodium_A.JPG

Bob-O-Rama

Re: Bleb formation, amoeboid movement

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

So is this in response to a "food this way" sort of chemical signal? Or does branching just occur, and whatever ones are successful are reinforced?

Ramos Kenneth D

Re: Bleb formation, amoeboid movement

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

Bob-O-Rama wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:58 pm
So is this in response to a "food this way" sort of chemical signal? Or does branching just occur, and whatever ones are successful are reinforced?
As in cellular slime molds, I am not sure whether a "chemical signal" is produced or not, I have found no reference to it in acellular plasmodial slimes. However, it would seem that movement is or would be in relation to or associated with the search for food sources as you suggested. It was also noted that it can also be a sign of when a cell is undergoing apoptosis but since they, Physarum, are regenerative, I have been producing cultures from the same or original cell for almost a year now occasionally losing a few along the way for no reason that I could observe. I have only observed "blebbing" this one time, so a visual study of the occurrence would be challenging. As far as molecular studies in regards to the occurrence, I would assume there are quite a few but it would be way over my head when it came to comprehending that sort of data. These plasmodia are usually content to remain in one area if conditions are favorable. Thanks :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic