Trial footage: Diatoms from the North Sea (Cuxhaven)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Trial footage: Diatoms from the North Sea (Cuxhaven)

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Video here: https://youtu.be/jBAl_16RxRw

I would love some feedback on this. I am using DaVinci Resolve 18 and Z6 N-log ProRes with a Ninja V external recorder.
My motorised stage evidently has some drift, I will try and fix that.

- I will not add a ruler thing.
- No voice over but I do have plans for this, I will have to study the technical side of diatoms first, I do not want to peddle misinformation.
- 150x hazy because of improper correction collar settings. Found out after recording! #-o
Any suggestions are welcomed!

It would be great if our forum can implement YouTube embed features. There is a BBCode tag...

Code: Select all

[youtube] Viewer ID [/youtube]

/* Example */
/* Viewer ID is the alphanumerical string suffixed to the watch link. */
/* jBAl_16RxRw from https://youtu.be/jBAl_16RxRw  */
[youtube] jBAl_16RxRw [/youtube]
/* This will bring up a thumbnail of the video and allow playing within the forum, rather than clicking on an external link without preview. */

75RR

Re: Trial footage: Diatoms from the North Sea (Cuxhaven)

Post by 75RR »

That is an interesting project you are working on. Enjoyed it.

Wonder if a little more editing, as in less scrolling (i.e. fade in to each diatom) would enhance the viewing.

Had to look up all the equipment you are using. I am very behind the times!

P.S. Great sound track

Making the most of your query to link to one of my favorite videos of one of the most beautiful microscopes ever, not that I have a Universal - mine is its little brother the Standard WL.
Note how Craig Smith fades in/cross dissolves to each part he wants to highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQW5ttGJxpM
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice -- great images!

I second the suggestion to have less jerky motion.

I see your comment "will not add a ruler thing", but then I wonder why you have "50X" and "150X" since those numbers mean nothing in isolation.

I suggest to either avoid saying anything at all about magnification, or include a scale bar at the same place where you quote the X number.

I'll take a look at what's involved with YouTube embedding.

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

75RR wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:19 am
Wonder if a little more editing, as in less scrolling (i.e. fade in to each diatom) would enhance the viewing.
Had to look up all the equipment you are using. I am very behind the times!
Good advice, thanks!
Yeah, the scrolling could be uneasy and unnecessary. I need to work out a plan to optimise the switch between lower and higher magnifications. I cannot just dial back and forth since the 60x requires immersion.
I am using an AX70 (ProVis), a pretty old microscope that never saw an update.
rjlittlefield wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:56 pm
I second the suggestion to have less jerky motion.

I see your comment "will not add a ruler thing", but then I wonder why you have "50X" and "150X" since those numbers mean nothing in isolation.

I suggest to either avoid saying anything at all about magnification, or include a scale bar at the same place where you quote the X number.

I'll take a look at what's involved with YouTube embedding.

--Rik
Thanks!
Great advice, I will add a ruler when the magnification shows up, it will be tucked away at the same time. That does no harm to the overall looks.
Hope it is easy to implement youtube embedding, you will probably need to sticky a thread on "how to do it" because the MicrobeHunter forums have it but most cannot be bothered to use the function. The key is to only paste the last bit as illustrated in the code I placed in the OP.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 am
Hope it is easy to implement youtube embedding, you will probably need to sticky a thread on "how to do it" because the MicrobeHunter forums have it but most cannot be bothered to use the function. The key is to only paste the last bit as illustrated in the code I placed in the OP.
I have added a [youtube] tag, as described in a new "FAQ: What BBCode tags are available in this forum?" at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=45595 .

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:33 pm
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 am
I have added a [youtube] tag, as described in a new "FAQ: What BBCode tags are available in this forum?" at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=45595 .

--Rik
Hoooray!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic