Some diatoms and a question

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Biollantefan54

Some diatoms and a question

Post by Biollantefan54 »

So I recently got an adapter so that I can use my dslr on my amscope t340B, I’m using this adapter with a Nikon d7500
621EBFA8-5514-4528-B7C9-73FA33FF58C6.jpeg
I took these photos here but I feel like the photos aren’t as good as what I am seeing with my eyes. These are using a 40x plan objective and I experimented a lot with the settings. Im using electronic front shutter and an exposure delay if 3 seconds to reduce any vibration. Do these look like what I should expect? They are too large to post so I’ll link the Flickr:
https://flic.kr/p/2nzDXp5
This one was at 1/400th and was a stack of about 6 images
https://flic.kr/p/2nzK3KK
This one was one image: https://flic.kr/p/2nzLscL
1.3”- https://flic.kr/p/2nzMvqP

Scarodactyl

Re: Some diatoms and a question

Post by Scarodactyl »

This is sort of a general purpose 'good enough' dslr adapter for lower tier Chinese systems. It's quite decent on some systems, less so on others. That said I think the results you're getting are worse than you should expect. Are you shooting in silent mode? Is iso pegged at its minimum value?

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

I have been experimenting with lots of settings but usually I try to keep the iso at 100. I have not tried silent mode, I didn’t know what that would do, I have been doing electronic front shutter but I’ll try silent mode. Those photos I posted are already sharpened and processed and that’s the best I could make them look. I’ll give the silent mode a shot

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The pictures don't look sharp enough and they seem affected by motion blur, so as suggested keep trying other options. (I'm not familiar with your camera, so no advice for my part)

To test if the cause is the adapter I would at first place try shooting with the 10X objective: normally they are sharper at the camera side (beside the lower resolution on subject side), they are less sensitive to motion blur due to the lower magnification and being simpler to manufacture they are less prone to be defective.

There are other "defects" like some chromatic aberration that are typical of your situation: achromatic objective and bright field illumination of high contrast subject.

I've seen mixed opinions about this kind of 2X adapter, some of them clearly negative

I'm intrigued by the T2-NEX adapter pictured, I suppose that you use the adequate Nikon adapter in its place, do you?
Pau

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Im using the two pieces on the right, I’m not sure how to use the two left pieces, I tried going to the product page but couldn’t find anything about what they are for exactly. I know when I use it to put my camera in the trinocular port, it is a tiny bit wobbly, that’s why I use the exposure delay. I’ll take some more today at lower magnifications, I believe this one is at maybe 10x but I’ll take more to be sure: https://flic.kr/p/2nzMvqP and I just looked on my camera and I’m use the t2 adapter it came with, should I not be?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The two left side adapters are for wider microscope eyepiece tubes (30 and 30.5mm), not needed for 23.5mm tubes
You don't want the NEX adapter but just a T2 to Nikon F adapter ring (maybe what you're saying)

You want the camera and visual images parfocal.

Right now I'm posting with the phone, later I could be able to see the images at the adequate size.
Pau

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

I am using the one in the picture, it attaches to my camera so I assumed that was the correct way to do it lol. So I just need to replace that with a t2-Nikon f ring?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Biollantefan54 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:16 am
I am using the one in the picture, it attaches to my camera so I assumed that was the correct way to do it lol. So I just need to replace that with a t2-Nikon f ring?
NEX refers to Sony NEX cameras (alpha or A-mount APSC models), I don't think that it would be compatible with Nikon, maybe you just bought the right adapter, could you post pictures of your setup?

Is the camera image parfocal* with the eyepieces? If so you likely have an adequate T2 adapter

- not very sharp your last linked picture again- In most cases microscope images do benefit of pretty strong sharpening.

* Parfocal refers to when both images are focused at the same point (in fact plane) simultaneously. It also applies the the focus plane when you change objectives. In practice a bit of refocusing with the micrometer is often needed
Pau

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Im gonna check again when i get home but I’m fairly certain it says nex on it lol? It is attached to my Nikon so that’s weird but I’ll look! I also noticed that the camera and eye pieces are not focused at the same level. If one is focused on something the other is out of focus

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Yeah it says t2-nex on it

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The lack of parfocalilty is the most clear symptom of mismatch.
The flange focal distance* of Nikon F is much longer than Sony Alpha's
Go for a T2 to Nikon F adapter, they are inexpensive and widespread (including Amazon if you like). You will get parfocality (I suppose) and likely somewhat better image quality

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
Pau

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Pau wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:00 am
The lack of parfocalilty is the most clear symptom of mismatch.
The flange focal distance* of Nikon F is much longer than Sony Alpha's
Go for a T2 to Nikon F adapter, they are inexpensive and widespread (including Amazon if you like). You will get parfocality (I suppose) and likely somewhat better image quality

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
Ok, so I found this on amazon, this should work right?
2DF3D5BE-83EE-470E-B2CA-50AEBF2D439A.jpeg
There were a few options but this one appears to be what you said (t2-Nikon f mount)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, it should work
T mount and T2 are basically the same. T2 just allows rotation for setting up the relative position between both mounts, not relevant in this case
Pau

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Pau wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:26 am
Yes, it should work
T mount and T2 are basically the same. T2 just allows rotation for setting up the relative position between both mounts, not relevant in this case
Alright, it’ll be here Saturday, in the mean time, what settings are recommended for micro photography? Should I use long exposure times around 2” or should I use really fast exposures? Thank you for the help!

Biollantefan54

Post by Biollantefan54 »

Hmm the new piece arrived today and I still have a very noticeable focus difference with the camera compared to my eye piece, I’m not really sure what’s wrong :/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic