New timelapse art film about the beauty of decay, featuring some microscopic focus stacked shots!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

plantfan123

New timelapse art film about the beauty of decay, featuring some microscopic focus stacked shots!

Post by plantfan123 »

Hello. I just finished my film Wrought, which is about our relationship with decay - from rotting produce and animals to fermentation and slime moulds. There are three shots in the Fermentation chapter done using microscopic focus stacking - one of the koji fungus (used to make sake, miso, etc), one of the tempeh fungus and one of a fungus in the Penicillium genus. The focus stacking segment starts at 8:18.

You can watch the full film here, please enjoy and share widely! 🎉

https://youtu.be/uw1LRu51Juc

Here are some stills:

:)

MarkSturtevant

Re: New timelapse art film about the beauty of decay, featuring some microscopic focus stacked shots!

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That was awesome! Rather professionally done! =D>
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Re: New timelapse art film about the beauty of decay, featuring some microscopic focus stacked shots!

Post by AlP »

Very well done. Just a personal observation, it wasn't too long ago a loaf of bread would start getting mould after four or five days on the counter. Now after two weeks the bread is still pristine. Winters are looong in Manitoba too, eh. (winky eye)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Spectacular work! =D> =D>
Thanks for posting it.

Would be nice to know more details on how it has been done
Pau

plantfan123

Post by plantfan123 »

AlP wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:54 pm
Very well done. Just a personal observation, it wasn't too long ago a loaf of bread would start getting mould after four or five days on the counter. Now after two weeks the bread is still pristine. Winters are looong in Manitoba too, eh. (winky eye)
:wink:

plantfan123

Post by plantfan123 »

Pau wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 am
Spectacular work! =D> =D>
Thanks for posting it.

Would be nice to know more details on how it has been done
Thanks! Yeah we might make a making of at some point. Lots of interesting stuff we had to figure out along the way over six years of working on it. :)

plantfan123

Post by plantfan123 »

MarkSturtevant wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am
That was awesome! Rather professionally done! =D>
Thank you!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I would be very interested to see "the making of" .

As for "professionally done", I totally agree!

In addition to the obvious care and technical quality, I counted over 90 names in the credits, not including the bunch of crowdfunders. That's a substantial team -- nice job!

--Rik

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Stunning work! All nicely done and fits beautifully together. Imagery, voice, sound, all in rhythm.
Thanks for posting (I don't have enough patience to weed out youtube for gems).
-Karl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic