Electra

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

iconoclastica

Electra

Post by iconoclastica »

I used to frequent the beach long ago, to sift through the flotsam whatever strange shells and other animals might have been washed ashore. Since I moved inland however, some decades ago, I have rarely picked up my old passtime. Now we are clearing out my father's house at the seashore, I broke out one morning to get some wind, and browse the stuff left on the beach by the bottom currents driven by a stead eastern wind. I was amazed how much the fauna has changed over the years. Shells, mostly of hard substrates, that we never had on our sandy beaches are plentyful now, whereas one had to look hard to find an ordinary cockle. But also the sandy species, such as Lutraria lutraria of which we only used to find fossil shells and even rarly as such, suddenly (in my view) turned up fresh and plentiful.

One that alwyas has been common is this Bryozoan, Electra plilosa. At first all the cases were filled with stubborn air bubbles. Only by sucking the colony vacuum most of them disappeared, even from within the spines. The first time i have tried this.

Electra pilosa (4x)
Electra pilosa (4x)

Electra pilosa (20x)
Electra pilosa (20x)
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic