Euglenids

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Robert Berdan

Euglenids

Post by Robert Berdan »

I just posted a new article about Euglenids on my web site with pictures that I took this summer. One reason I enjoy writing articles is that it helps me learn more about these fascinating creatures. I include links to some of the science literature and recent reviews for those interested in learning more. I often learn things I didn't know about before - e.g. I did not know about Trachelomonas and Strombomonas

I also include an embedded video with music showing live euglenids. I have managed to get my wife involved making music tracks for the video and she even comes out to the ponds to help me collect them.

Bruce Taylor who some of you may know has also been very helpful in the identification of some species, and provided me with valuable taxonomic information and feedback. The Euglenids are challenging to photograph because they twist and turn and getting photos often requires using a No 1.5 coverslip (recommended for most objectives) and flattening them while they are active on the slide by drawing water out from under the coverslip. The Zeiss no 1.5 covers slips are supposed to be 0.017 mm +\- .005 mm in thickness and seem to be the best for photography in my experience.

My article is here for those interested: https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... noids.html

A couple of my favourite photos of Euglenids are shown below.

Peranema so. Phase contrast microscopy 400X
Peranema so. Phase contrast microscopy 400X
Lepocinclis fusca (originally Euglena fusca) 400X DIC note the triangular ornamention on the pellicle
Lepocinclis fusca (originally Euglena fusca) 400X DIC note the triangular ornamention on the pellicle
Euglenoid species 630X DIC
Euglenoid species 630X DIC
Attachments
Trachelomonas sp?  400X
Trachelomonas sp? 400X
Phacus sp  DIC 400X DIC
Phacus sp DIC 400X DIC

Luis Carlos

Re: Euglenids

Post by Luis Carlos »

Excellent photographs Robert (I particularly like the second one). The information about euglenas on your website is very interesting, as usual. Thanks for the bibliography

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Great article, thank you Robert! I read it word by word and thoroughly enjoy it. I like your video and its music as well.

josmann

Post by josmann »

Hi Robert, big fan of your photography work! I've been referring to a lot of your rotifer photography when I'm trying to identify species I find in my specimen jar.

Do you ever use thinner cover glass for thicker samples? Thorlabs sells high precision #1.5 and #0 cover glass for decent prices (plus you get a box of snacks) and I was thinking of experimenting with them under different conditions. Right now I'm outfitted for BF, DF, and epi-fluor on my various BH2s.

Thanks,
Jason

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Very nice diatoms.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Correction - euglenids.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Robert Berdan

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi Jason re coverslips. I use no 1.5 by Zeiss which are 0.017 mm thick +\- 0.005 - though I think there is more variation. I also sometimes use No 1 coverslips as the thickness refers to the distance above the specimen.

I wrote an article about the importance of coverslips here for anyone interested.
https://moticmicroscopes.com/blogs/arti ... icrography

Cheers
Rob

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, that was an interesting article, thanks for the link.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic