TOSHIBA CK40378E061

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

TOSHIBA CK40378E061

Post by Olympusman »

TOSHIBA CK40378E061.jpg
I was tracking down a hair in the optical system of my metalurgical scope and also attempting to center the lamp in the lamp housing of the illuminator. For those of you with a trinocular with axial illumination, I found the easiest way to center the lamp in relation to the whole optical train is to remove the camera from the camera tube on the trinoc. Then, when you look down the tube, you will see the filament of the lamp in all its glory. Then you can work with the centering mechanisms in the lamp house.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Scarodactyl

Re: TOSHIBA CK40378E061

Post by Scarodactyl »

I've been enjoying these. Which illumination mode are you using?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wow, these are spectacular colors! What's the technique?

--Rik

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Thanks. The illumination is axial illumination. In a metallurgical microscope there is a beam splitter above the turret. The illuminator is on one side of the beam splitter housing. The light from the illuminator reflects off the beam splitter downward through the objective, illuminating the chip. Then that image is reflected back up through the beam splitter to the eyepieces and the camera.
The variations in color are accomplished using the ToupView software that comes with Amscope trinocular scopes that have cameras. The camera looks a great deal like a Motic and has amazingly low noise.
The Toupview has two options for adjusting color.
WHITE BALANCE
Temperature
Tint
and two reset buttons - White Balance and Default
COLOR ADJUSTMENT
Hue
Saturation
Brightness
Contrast
Gamma
By adjusting the sliders in these two controls, I can shoot the chip in natural color or I can come up with some of these artsy effects. In addition, in Photoshop I can adjust Hue and Saturation of individual colors. For example, with this TOSHIBA chip, I felt the yellow was a bit tepid, so I went with a little earthier yellow.
The Toupview software is a little bit clunky to work with. For example, to shoot stacks, I have to shoot the stacking images, which are saved as tabs along a row on the top of the page. It will only allow you to go to 71 frames - any greater number locks up the software. Then each tab must be saved individually to a folder, in my case a folder named ZERENE.

Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Nice chip image!
Olympusman wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:15 pm
I was tracking down a hair in the optical system of my metalurgical scope and also attempting to center the lamp in the lamp housing of the illuminator. For those of you with a trinocular with axial illumination, I found the easiest way to center the lamp in relation to the whole optical train is to remove the camera from the camera tube on the trinoc. Then, when you look down the tube, you will see the filament of the lamp in all its glory. Then you can work with the centering mechanisms in the lamp house
This is the standard procedure for Kölher illumination (both to center and to focus the lamp filament), you can do the same removing an eyepiece, even better with a "phase telescope" eyepiece or with a Bertrand lens if the scope has it.
Pau

Bob-O-Rama

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Olympusman wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 am

The variations in color are accomplished using the ToupView software that comes with Amscope trinocular scopes that have cameras.
Silly me thinking this was some crazy way of illuminating the subject! LOL!

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Some chips are colorful on their own, and epi pol with a wavw plate can also add color. And of course there's epi DIC but while the color could be right I didn't see the relief effect you'd expect.
Very cool results!

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Since many of the latest microscopes do not have an iris on the built-in sub-stage illuminator, how is it possible to attain true Kohler illumination?
Also, some of the very high-end Olympus scopes actually saet Kohler illumination automatically depending on the objective rotated into position on the turret.

Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Olympusman wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 am
Since many of the latest microscopes do not have an iris on the built-in sub-stage illuminator, how is it possible to attain true Kohler
illumination?
Also, some of the very high-end Olympus scopes actually saet Kohler illumination automatically depending on the objective rotated into
position on the turret.
This has been an intriguing question for me during certain time. Even many microscopes that have field diaphragm also have diffusers (opal glasses) in the light path, in some case not removable, that prevent focussing the lamp filament at the rear focal plane.

In my current understanding the key attribute of Kölher illumination is not the presence of a field diaphragm or the ability to focus the filament but to fully filling with the light of the source the objective rear focal plane and to have that light perfectly defocussed at the image plane both maximizing illumination uniformity and full profiting the objective NA.
The function of the filed diaphragm is to limit the sample illuminated field to avoid glare and also to facilitate setting up Kölher but it is not indispensable.
The use of diffusers and other devices like fly eye lenses also can difficult setting up Kölher but can facilitate the illumination evenness
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic