Water Mite (Arrenurus genus)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

hahahahah so alcohol has a use afterall!!

excellent photographs.

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< gradually added some alcoholic beverage >>

Which sort - just out of interest ... was considering doing some research / testing :)

pp

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

wow fantastic images!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

pp:
Which sort - just out of interest ...
Well, if you're really curious :wink: , it's a German beverage called Oldesloer.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Charlie,

The images in this thread are not displaying :cry:

* Later note: Now they are displaying :shock:

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

it's a German beverage called Oldesloer
Charlie,

Hah! :shock: I hadn't seen that before. Sounds like you had made that mite drunk with Korn or Doppelkorn that was destilled in my neck of the woods!
Cool! Is our Korn really shipped the whole way to Seattle and can be bought there?

Anyway, clever choice Korn that is. Otherwise it could have easily led to the false impression of tannin-brown waters of a peat-bog habitat, if you had used Jägermeister instead. :wink: :)

--Betty

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Betty,
:wink: It was a gift from an exchange student that had stayed with us. She gave it to my daughter and wife when they later visited her at home in Brunsbüttel.

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Hi Charlie

Beautiful shot. I really like the combined DF transillumination with the overhead light. I was wondering if there were any anesthetics for mites besides booze, so I checked through my copy of "Biological Techniques" by Jens Knudsen (which can be summarized with the phrase "biology is the art of killing with finesse") and also "Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates" (J. Thorp and A. Covich, eds.) and "Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States, 3rd ed" (Pennak) and nobody mentions narcotizing agents for water mites. Plenty of techniques for killing and perserving and many include ethanol. It seems that you can preserve them well with a mix of acetic acid, glycerin, alcohol and water, or perhaps PVLG as well. If you're planning on keeping your mites around for more pictures the mixture of
glycerin : water : glacial acetic acid : alcohol (2:3:2:1) is one formula. You could probably use isopropyl alcohol instead of ethanol in the mix with no issues.

David

abpho

Post by abpho »

Great work. Putting that extra effort in really pays off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic