Personal parasite, Keratin vs Chitin edition

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

patta

Personal parasite, Keratin vs Chitin edition

Post by patta »

Finally, ticks have hit here too. My girlfriend took it out by hooking it with a knotted hair; the thick is still hooked.
Stack is a bit rough, one of my first; morning panic after finding the tick. It went under the microscope immediately, so the beast was still alive moving its leg and rostrum... but no way to escape! I hope to skip the infection.
For the original, nicer (or nastier) image of tick head:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43409
Attachments
Tick, Microscope objective, 3.7x NA0.11 nominal, direct projection APS-C, stack 10 imgs w random spacing, Swift&Son stand
Tick, Microscope objective, 3.7x NA0.11 nominal, direct projection APS-C, stack 10 imgs w random spacing, Swift&Son stand
Last edited by patta on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lou Jost

Re: Personal parasite, Keratin vs Chitin edition

Post by Lou Jost »

That is a very original and diabolically clever way to remove a tick! And now you have a tick on a leash. Impressive.

patta

Post by patta »

Not so original I guess! Our ancestors were surely plagued by ticks, they had no special tool, but a lot of hairs... somebody should have came up already with this trick

Duke

Post by Duke »

Your enthusiasm in microscopy is surely admirable, however you one who you should be seeing immediately is a doctor, tick can wait, doesn't seem like he's going anywhere in this hairy situation. :)
But really, infection encephalitis and lyme disease are no joke.
“Thoroughly conscious ignorance is the prelude to every real advance in science.” - JCM

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Ticks can spread and cause a variety of diseases (I have a red meat allergy from bites even though I always got them off quickly) but tick bites are common and it wouldn't be typical to see a doctor after every one.

patta

Post by patta »

Indeed where I live the famed public ealthcare system has as main policy " if ain't broke don't fix it", so the doctor will likely bounce me back without any examination. If I get symptoms then yes, antibiotics etc.

Next time (hope never) I get a tick, let's look at its saliva under high magnification, maybe we can see ( hope not!) the dreaded Lyme disease bacteria

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Really, in many parts of the world, including much of the US, tick bites are a weekly occurrence during the summer for people who live in rural areas.

Duke

Post by Duke »

I guess either our ticks are exceptionally contagious or social medical insurance plan is different, maybe both. Once spring comes the government infomercials is everywhere, all over the tv and radio "Be cautious during venturing outdoors, wear thick clothes, with long sleeves etc., check your body thoroughly when returning, once bitten seek medical attention immediately"
To be fair, I've never been bitten by a tick, they don't seem to like me much, and it's very mutual.
Take care anyways.
“Thoroughly conscious ignorance is the prelude to every real advance in science.” - JCM

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

In some places in the US, I get multiple tick bites per day.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Oof, I'd be careful with that. I brushed that off when I was doing field work for my masters and now I can't eat steak or cheese. Maybe try permethrin?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Interesting. I can't eat cheese now either.

lothman

Post by lothman »

patta wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:05 am
Not so original I guess! Our ancestors were surely plagued by ticks, they had no special tool, but a lot of hairs... somebody should have came up already with this trick
What an excellent reason to explain why it is a good idea having Ladies around with long strong hair :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic