Amoeba -Volume 1 – A strange testate amoeba.

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Amoeba -Volume 1 – A strange testate amoeba.

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

I begin this series with the most unusual ameboid subject that I have seen to date. It is circular, stationary, colorless, very flat and it has short filose pseudopodia. It also seems to have projected a large circular pseudopodia, if that is what it can be called. Dozens of live bacteria inhabited this projection. At first I thought the subject was in its death throws, but over time the changes, both external and internal, say otherwise. The subject is from material in a decaying forest log. Diameter is 35 to 40 micrometers. The images, from top to bottom, are in the sequence shot.
I, of course, could be mistaken in my interpretation. The amoeba, when I first encountered it, could have simply been absorbing a meal. But I have seen these spherical projections before in others.
Twice before I have seen a circular amoeba. A subject for another post. It is easy to pass this subject by. It appears like a dead cell. I hope to come by one again. Sorry about the yellow algal zoospores appearing around and above the amoeba. They burst into activity earlier when the sample was exposed to a strong light.
Walter
Leitz DIAVERT microscope with 40x NPL achromat and Zernike phase contrast.
Nikon D800 with a Diagnostic Instruments 1X projection lens.
Modified Vivitar 283 flash.
Attachments
7645SSclw.jpg
7646SSclw.jpg
7647SSclw.jpg
7648SSclw.jpg
7651SSclw.jpg
7661SSclw.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic