Flower-like crystals

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Robert Berdan

Flower-like crystals

Post by Robert Berdan »

One of the most beautiful types of crystals that can be viewed in a polarizing microscope are curved crystals that resemble leaves and flower parts. Round crystals can be made using Vitamin C, but flower-like crystals are often achieved using amino acids most notably Beta-alanine and Glutamine. I tested a variety of solvents, pH, chemicals, different amino acids and techniques to create the flower-like crystals and after several day of testing was able to achieve consistent results.

I photographed the Crystals using a Motic BA310 polarizing microscope using a Canon 5D Mark III camera, images were captured using Digicam control software (free) and I processed the images in Photoshop.

Many of colours in polarized light "scream" they are so bold. I tried to tone down the saturation deliberately in many cases to provide a softer look. I have attached a few images below to show you some of my preliminary results and hope you like them. I will post a few more images and a link after I post my article on making curved crystals with further details in January 2021 on my web site. Crystals are the perfect subject for taking pictures in winter as they can be done in the comfort of your home - we currently have about 40cm of snow outside in Calgary.

Cheers
Rob

Alanine and Glutamine - Ethanol\water
Alanine and Glutamine - Ethanol\water

Alanine and Glutaimine
Alanine and Glutaimine
Alanine and Glutamine
Alanine and Glutamine
Alanine and Glutamine
Alanine and Glutamine
Alanine and Glutamine
Alanine and Glutamine
Attachments
Alannine and Glutamine
Alannine and Glutamine

Tonikon

Re: Flower-like crystals

Post by Tonikon »

Really very charming and very very well done. Bravo!
Where can I find some useful information on how to obtain this type of crystals without having to take a degree in crystallography? :)

Robert Berdan

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi to find out more information about how to make crystals see my article on my web site:
https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... light.html - any brightfield microscope can be converted or fitted with polarizing filters one of the light source and one in the head or eyepiece. A proper polarizing microscope makes it easier - I reviewed the Motic BA310 polarizing microscope a few months ago and I liked it so much I purchased it. https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... scope.html

I will post another article on my site in January which will provide the details for making these flower-like crystals as I have only achieved them recently using amino acids. I will post a link here when the new article is ready.

Cheers
Rob

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Very very nice.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
I have also been have a great time with the B.A./Glutamine combo this winter.
Looking forward to reading your new article.
Thanks for sharing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic